Medical Center, Business School Rise in Annual U.S. News Survey

The McDonough School of Business climbed nine spots, and the Georgetown School of Medicine moved up two rungs in U.S. News and World Report’s annual ranking of America’s best graduate schools.

The business school moved from 34th to 25th this year, and the medical school moved from 46th to 44th. The Georgetown Law Center ranked highest of the university’s three graduate schools, placing 14th in the law school rankings, the same ranking it received last year.

Harvard University’s business school and medical school both topped their respective rankings, while Yale University topped the law school rankings.

The MSB’s ranking continues to fluctuate. It finished 27th two years ago and 33rd three years ago. Ray Cooper, an associate dean in the MSB, attributed the surge in rankings this year to the rising national acclaim that the program has received from peer institutions and an improved record in placing graduates in high-paying jobs.

“The U.S. News rank in part is based on peer institutions’ perceptions of your program, and the fact that [MSB Dean] George Daly is here and is known as a leading light in the world of business education has a lot to do with our peers’ ranking of Georgetown,” he said.

The medical school accepted only 4.3 percent of applications last year, making its acceptance rate slightly lower than that of Harvard’s medical school, which admitted 4.7 percent. Harvard, however, admitted students with an average MCAT score of 11.7, while Georgetown’s accepted students had an average score of 10.4.

Medical Center spokesperson Laura Cavender said that this year’s applications for admission have so far increased 17 percent over last year’s.

U.S. News and World Report compiles its rankings using weighted computations based on admissions information collected from the universities and surveys of peer institutions and other outside experts. The rankings take into account both the quality of the students admitted to each graduate program and the level of students’ success upon graduation.

The business school list gave weight to schools with a high average starting salary for graduates and the law school survey assessed students’ passage rate for the bar exam.