Medical Center to Open New Health Clinic for Homeless

Georgetown’s Medical Center is teaming up with the Georgetown University Hospital and several other groups to open a clinic providing free health care to homeless people this summer.

The clinic, at the D.C. Village Emergency Shelter for Homeless Families in Southwest D.C., will be operated by students, faculty and staff from the Medical Center and hospital, said Matthew Levy, medical director at the Department of Pediatrics, who is leading the project. Levy said there are currently about 70 volunteer medical and physiological students involved.

“Students have been, and are still, an integral part of the project,” Levy said.

The clinic is set to open sometime this summer, but there is no specific date due to renovations and further fundraising that must occur, Levy said.

Michael Ferrell, executive director of the Coalition for the Homeless, which provides services for and advocates on behalf of homeless people, said he is “looking forward to the clinic being fully operational by August,” but could not specify an opening date.

The clinic will provide pediatric and adult care, including check-ups, sick visits, immunizations, tuberculosis testing and pregnancy and HIV testing.

Levy said that the clinic will be funded through “fundraisers that the students have, connections that the students have made, and some other foundation money.”

The Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homelessness, the Coalition for the Homeless, the District of Columbia Department of Human Services and the District of Columbia Department of Health are all involved in the project.

-Dana Walsh