Men’s Lacrosse: Despite Sloppy Execution, GU Wins Season Opener

Despite Sloppy Execution, GU Wins Season Opener

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

Related Links Men’s Lacrosse Page Men’s Lacrosse Schedule

Poor execution, missed scoring opportunities and a sluggish effort did not stop the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team from picking up its first win of the season Saturday.

The Hoyas opened up their season with a 14-7 win over Colgate before a packed crowd of almost 2,000 at Kehoe Field.

“We’re all a little frustrated I think. That’s the best word,” Head Coach Dave Urick said. “Now we take a step back and try and critique. It’s early in the season, and Colgate is a better team than we thought.”

The Hoyas started off slowly, with wayward shots, dropped passes and an inability to establish a flow on the offensive end of the field. The Hoyas put their defensive unit to work, as the Red Raiders controlled the ball for much of the first half and found the back of the net against an experienced Hoya defense.

Georgetown trailed 3-1 at the end of the first period but rebounded convincingly in the second period off a strong effort by sophomore midfielder Steve Dusseau. Georgetown outscored Colgate 5-1 over that 15 minute span to take a 6-4 lead at the half, with Dusseau notching a hat trick in that period. The Hoyas broke a 4-4 tie with 3:52 remaining in the first half off a Dusseau goal and never relinquished the lead.

Georgetown seemed to get into the groove in the second half, coming out stronger than it had to start the game. The Hoyas outscored the Red Raiders 8-3 over the course of the second half, including three goals by senior attackman Andy Flick in the final nine minutes to secure the win. Colgate came within two goals with 6:39 left on the clock in the third period after a goal by Danny Grady, but the Hoyas built their lead back up to 10-6 with two quick goals by senior attackman Scott Urick and freshman attackman ike Hammer.

Georgetown sealed the win by scoring four consecutive unanswered goals, including Flick’s three, in the final period to bring the score to 14-7.

“It’s a good win against a solid team,” Coach Urick said.

Coach Urick wasted no time initiating a core group of freshman into the Hoyas’ game plan.

“We played a lot of freshman and each of them made one freshman mistake,” Coach Urick said.

Several rookies played a considerable amount of minutes Saturday, including defenseman Kyle Sweeney and midfielder Trevor Walker. Rookie Hammer made a strong first showing on offense, recording two points on a goal and an assist.

When talking about the freshman seeing time in the season opener, Coach Urick said it’s “not anything we’re going to hesitate to do. There a–re still guys we need to get into the mix this week.”

Two areas of difficulty for the Hoyas were on clears and in the face-off circle. Georgetown won just 12 of 25 face-offs, but Coach Urick was optimistic about improvement.

“We were close to what we want to be at, but we’d like something closer to 60 percent,” Coach Urick said.

Sophomore Mike Kanach won five out of 10 face-offs, junior Ryan Perraut won six out of 12 and junior Sean Cartin won one out of three.

Colgate’s face-off specialist Parker Gibson led the nation last season in winning percentage in the face-off circle.

“We’re close,” Coach Urick said. “If each guy wins just one more each, than we’re there.”

Flick led all scorers with six points off of four goals and two assists. Dusseau chipped in a hat trick and also assisted on a goal. Senior Peter Velepec, back from a redshirt season due to injury, scored two goals.

Georgetown outshot Colgate 46-19, but Colgate was quicker on the ground, grabbing 26 groundballs to the Hoyas 19.

Sophomore goalie Scott Schroeder finished the day with seven saves, allowing seven goals while Colgate goalie Paul Abrahimzadeh recorded 13 saves with 14 goals allowed.

Next up for the Hoyas are the Cadets of West Point. Georgetown battles Army Saturday at 1 p.m. on Kehoe Field. Last season, the Hoyas traveled to West Point where they gave a shellacking to the Cadets, winning 22-6 in a scoring barrage.

This year, however, the Hoyas will have to stop the Cadets on defense without senior defenseman and captain Greg Papa. Papa twisted his ankle last weekend after stepping on a teammate and rolling his ankle. Coach Urick could not give a definite answer as to how long Papa would be out, saying that the trainers estimate around two to three weeks.

“Those are things we’ve got to deal with, they’re part of the game. We’ve been fortunate in the past, we’ve avoided a lot of major setbacks,” Coach Urick said. “This will certainly hurt us a bit, though.”