Mixed Results for GU Over Weekend

The Georgetown women’s tennis team had a rather contradictory weekend at the Baltimore-Washington Challenge.

On McDonough Courts, both the singles and doubles teams came out strong with 15 wins and seven losses on Saturday against George Washington, the University of Maryland-Baltimore County and American. Yet the same rival teams made a comeback on Sunday, resulting in two wins and seven losses for the Hoyas.

Although men’s and women’s head coach Rich Bausch was concerned with women’s showing on Sunday, Saturday’s performance pleased him.

“We played consistently all throughout the day,” he said.

Despite a loss to Maryland last year, the women’s team dominated the singles matches against UMBC, as well as both the singles and doubles matches against American.

But UMBC and GW took a heavy toll on the Hoyas Sunday, with UMBC stealing all of the doubles matches and GW taking three of five singles matches.

Courtney Olsen and Taylor Martin, meanwhile, added to this season’s significant freshman contributions by both scoring big wins this weekend. Martin won all four of her matches at third singles and third doubles, while Olsen came out the tournament with four wins and a loss. Sophomore Adriann Gin also made a good showing, with a score of 2-0 on Saturday and 1-1 on Sunday.

Gin, alongside Steph Cohen, another sophomore, played an intense doubles match against seniors Anastasia Skavronskaia and Sandra Simunic of GW. Down by a score of 5-2, Cohen and Gin persisted to win seven of their next 10 games for the victory.

Freshman Natalie Newman, senior Charlotte Guy and freshman Lauren Bakios each captured two wins this weekend, while junior Eileen Boyle, freshman Mary O’Loughlin and senior Kristin Dew scored one each.

This weekend, the Hoya women will head to Philadelphia to play Temple while the men’s team will challenge GW at McDonough Courts on Friday at 2:30 p.m.