Mountain Hawks Demolish Hoyas

Charles Nailen/The Hoya For the second year in a row, Patriot League power Lehigh trounced Georgetown.

The domination began four minutes and 25 seconds into the game with an 8-yard run by junior running back Jermaine Pugh and ended nine touchdowns later when freshman running back Eric Rath broke into the endzone with 4:23 left in the fourth quarter as the third-ranked Lehigh Mountain Hawks drubbed the Hoyas 69-0, Georgetown’s worst loss since 1905.

Lehigh converted on three third downs on the opening scoring drive and succeeded on 13 of 16 on the day, as Georgetown was seldom able to come up with a defensive stand.

Lehigh, who has won 44 of its last 45 games, excelled in every aspect of the matchup, holding Georgetown to just 98 total offensive yards while steamrolling the Hoyas for 604 of their own. The Mountain Hawk defense totally controlled the line of scrimmage, making the Georgetown running game seem a futile exercise as the Hoyas failed to break into positive net rushing yards.

Meanwhile, Pugh scampered over the defense for 73 yards and three touchdowns on nine carries and junior quarterback Chad Schwenk picked apart the Hoya defense for 288 yards and four touchdowns.

“It was a tough opener,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said. “We played the No. 3 team in the nation in their house in our first game. It was tough.”

Last Saturday Lehigh opened its season with a 37-26 win over Division I-A Buffalo. In that game, the Mountain Hawks posted 508 yards of total offense.

Georgetown did have some success in the game, blocking a field goal as well as forcing the Mountain Hawks to go three and out three times in the second half. Freshman defensive back Rocco ilazzotto also picked off a pass for the Hoyas.

Junior quarterback Morgan Booth made his debut at quarterback, but consistent Lehigh pressure limited him to just 106 yards and eight completions on 24 attempts. The defense also sacked him six times.

“Offensively Morgan did some good things, but we didn’t do enough to support him,” Benson said.

The lackluster support included four Hoya fumbles, one coming at the end of a 30-yard reception by senior tight end Bo Cote at the Lehigh 47-yard line. That would be the only time Georgetown would break into Lehigh territory until halfway through the third quarter. The Hoyas never broke into the Lehigh redzone and came no closer to scoring than the Lehigh 41-yard line.

Georgetown faltered on special teams as well, as Lehigh blocked the first of nine Georgetown punts on the day. The Hawks later forced senior punter Dave Paulus to attempt a pass to avoid having a second punt blocked.

The Hoyas next face Holy Cross, another Patriot League team, at home this Saturday on Harbin Field at 1 p.m.