MPD Should Redefine Its Safety Priorities

To the Editor:

Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Felicia Lucas is quoted in THE HOYA article entitled “Student Injured in Off-Campus Shooting” (Feb. 7, 2006, A1) as saying “If our people weren’t taken away dealing with large parties and drinking all the time, we could have high-visibility patrols and try to deter some of serious problems that go on.”

Now, I don’t work in law enforcement and I don’t have an education in crime prevention, but it seems painfully obvious that the lieutenant’s remarks reflect a serious problem with MPD priorities.

As reported in THE HOYA, approximately 22 people were arrested over the weekend on charges of open container of alcohol and public urination. Early Saturday morning one student was mugged, as were three more students later that evening, one of whom was shot.

While the nature of crime in the neighborhood is seemingly becoming more violent, MPD deflects responsibility and has the audacity to implicate student parties as a cause for the occurrence of these violent crimes. I’m not sure which is more troubling – the frequent reports of students being mugged, assaulted and now shot, or the lieutenant’s offensive excuses and finger-pointing.

If loud parties, excessive noise and other disruptions remain valid defenses for why MPD cannot offer proper prevention and protection, the Georgetown neighborhood will continue to be transformed into a violent crime zone. But at least there won’t be open containers of beer.

Tim Hargadon (COL ’04)

Feb. 8, 2006

To the Editor:

I was shocked at the absurdist logic espoused by Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Felicia Lucas (“Student Injured in Off-Campus Shooting,” THE HOYA, Feb. 7, 2006, A1), who insinuates that it was all the college parties in Georgetown that led to the shooting of Helen Obregon (SFS ’06).

Lucas seems to feel that MPD’s resources are better used cracking down on keg parties than admittedly more serious crimes like armed robbery. Now I’m no detective, but it would seem to me that glocks and muggings should be a higher priority for the District’s finest than solo cups and kegstands.

Kevin Koenig (COL. ’04)

Feb. 8, 2006