Music Department Requires Reliable Leadership

To the Editor:

After publication of the story on the music department in Friday’s issue (“Music Department Faces Complaints,” The Hoya, April 22, 2005, A1), I have been asked if I am hopeful about the Music Department and the answer is yes, I am very optimistic. I have some suggestions. First, the search for a director of the music program needs to begin immediately. The new director should be professional musician currently active or possibly retired, perhaps someone on the level of a Leonard Slatkin, who understands the educational needs of music students and can raise the level of the performance ensembles.

This person needs to have an artistic vision and not just be an administrator. Second, now that Dean McAuliffe is aware of the thriving creative energy that abounds in the students seeking to do music at Georgetown, she must help allocate substantial funding to the Music Department so they can grow, expand and be a source of artistic and innovative development for musicians at the school.

Lastly, the university administration ought to combine forces with successful alumni and businessmen to build a music performance hall at Georgetown, much like the Lisner Auditorium at The George Washington University. The facility could house the music department, have soundproof practice rooms for the students and be a performance space for the orchestra, concert choir, chamber singers and the jazz band. In addition, this hall could have a Performing Arts Series of visiting artists, be a concert venue for current performers and become a viable source of revenue for the university.

Robert Fair Professor of Music Technology Program for the Performing Arts April 27, 2005