Music Program Lacks Support

TO THE EDITOR:

I wanted to address the resistance of the administration in the College to assist student musicians at Georgetown. There is a significant amount of very talented musicians at this school whose skills are being hindered by a stubborn group of inept administrators. This is a real shame.

About 50 students have to compete with each other for a few hours a week in Georgetown’s only fully functioning music studio in New North. Yes, there are facilities in Gelardin, but who really expects a horn player, an a cappella group, a drummer, a violin player, a guitarist or a pianist to feel comfortable practicing their music with 50 kids working on their final papers on the other side of the door?

The $85 lab fee automatically billed to each student involved in music studio editing classes has gone unused or has been pooled with money not even related to the class.

The new arts center completely ignores the needs of our musicians. The university offers classes on the history of music in different genres and on film and its social aspects, yet students wishing to try their hand at the art on their own are met with resistance from the very people who are supposed to enable their endeavors.

Sounds like muzak to these ears. JAMES VIANO (COL ’06)

APRIL 12, 2005