Must See D.C.

Friday, August 25, 2006

After a long and relaxing summer, you have just arrived back on the Hilltop. As you move in, you’ll be busy making new friends or meeting up with the ones you already have, deciding what clubs and organizations to immerse yourself in and accepting the fact that you are once again a full-time student. Phew. Whether you’re a first- or fourth-year student at Georgetown, you will find that with so much happening on the Hilltop, it’s easy to never wander past the party in Burleith or the CVS on Wisconsin Avenue. But for those brave few looking for something new to do, here are the places not to miss: Jack’s Boathouse: Quit admiring the river view from Village A or New South and head on down to the water to experience it firsthand. Head out in a kayak or rent a canoe with your friend and see the city from a different perspective. The Smithsonian Museums: One of the world’s largest collections of museums line the Mall downtown, with expansive collections that range from fossils and fighter jets to Rembrandts and ruby slippers. There is truly something for everyone. The free admission is an added bonus for college students on a budget. If you somehow get tired of the Smithsonian’s offerings, Washington has no lack of other museums, from the moving Holocaust Museum to the National Geographic’s exotic collections to an entire institution devoted to textiles. The Capitol: A must-see for all those government majors. Come see democracy at work and keep a lookout for your Congressperson wandering around this august building. The Library of Congress: It’s much prettier than Lauinger Library, and adds 400,000 new titles every year to the world’s largest stacks. You will start dreaming of it when you’re fighting your entire international affairs class for that Samuel Huntington book. Eastern Market: The last of Washington’s 19th century open markets still offers farmer’s markets, crafts fairs and flea markets for the adventurous Hoya with a healthy appetite or a good eye for a bargain. RFK Stadium: Now is your chance to witness the Nationals as another season comes to a close with exciting players like Alfonso Soriano playing hard right through September. If you’re not a baseball person, check out teen wonder Freddie Adu and D.C. United, the area’s Major League Soccer team.

U Street: Everyone has studied the Harlem Renaissance, but few people know of its Washington counterpart. Duke Ellington’s old neighborhood, U Street has long stood as a center of black culture in the District. Check out Ben’s Chili Bowl or groove at a local jazz club. The National Zoo: After the First Family, the pandas may be the most celebrated residents of Washington. Check them out and a host of other exotic fauna, and then head back to campus with a nice stroll through Rock Creek Park. Dupont Circle: The District’s funkiest neighborhood is only a GUTS bus ride away. Before you get tired of the M Street fare, check out the abundance of cultural shops, restaurants and clubs that radiate out from the circle. Come back in October for the annual Halloween “drag race” featuring some of the area’s most outlandish and glamorous female look-alikes. Union Station: Modeled after the Roman baths of Diocletian, this transportation hub is a destination in its own right. The main hall is a stunning sight, but check out the food court or the shops. Head north on a MARC train to Baltimore and the Inner Harbor, or maybe head back home. Regale your family with stories of all the amazing things you just did in Washington, D.C.