New Jersey Governor Reflects on GU Years

Dear Friends,

Georgetown University celebrates 215 years of excellence and service to our great nation. The proud Jesuit academic tradition of the University has been intertwined with the birth and growth of the American republic.

From the earliest days of John Carroll’s stewardship until the present day, Georgetown University has proven to be a laboratory for civic innovation and training ground for civil leadership.

My law school experience, replete with the tyrannical excesses of Professor Don Wallace, the witty erudition of Fr. Robert Drinan, S.J., and the piercing inquiry of the late Charles Ruff, made it an exciting ride. While at law school, I also had the privilege of working in the Undergraduate Admissions Office with that most ardent Hoya fan Charles Deacon. The part time job provided me an opportunity to develop a friendship with the late Fr. Royden Davis, S.J., whose integrity and decency made him a moral foundation for the college and the university.

The many lessons I learned at Georgetown, both within and outside the classroom, have served me well over the years. I am honored to be a graduate of the Law Center and this outstanding university. Once again, congratulations as you celebrate this significant milestone in Georgetown’s distinguished history.

Jim McGreevey is currently serving his first term as the 51st governor of New Jersey. Born in New Jersey, he received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University and holds a aster’s degree in Education from Harvard University. cGreevey graduated from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1981.