No. 13 W&M Shuts Out GU

No. 13 W&M Shuts Out GU

Hoya Defense Can’t Halt Tribe in 6-0 Loss

By Eric Kim Hoya Staff Writer

After losing a close game to Furman Aug. 28, the Georgetown women’s soccer team looked to seek revenge on its next opponent. However, last Sunday was not that day, as the Hoyas lost 6-0 to No. 13 William & Mary on Harbin Field.

“We’re trying to let go of this game from our minds,” Head Coach Diane Drake said. “We underachieved, and this was definitely not our best performance. There were lapses in memory and focus throughout the game which led to the goals.”

The Tribe quickly got on the board at the 3:20 mark when Chanda Sneed received a cross pass and dumped the ball into the net. William & Mary got two more goals at the 13:19 and 16:41 marks before the half ended.

Down 3-0, the Hoya defense improved little, as the Tribe scored only 20 seconds into the second half on Tara Flint’s second goal of the game. The Tribe notched two more goals at the 53:13 and 69:20 marks.

The loss brings Georgetown’s record to a disappointing 1-3 so far in their five-game opening homestand. “We were expecting that during the five-game homestand, we’d be 3-1 at this point,” Drake said. “William & Mary was going to be tough, but we believed the other teams were definitely beatable.”

The Hoyas have been facing a lot of adversity with key players missing due to injury. Sophomore defender Flynn Coleman and junior leftback Cristy DeLorenzo, both starters, will miss the entire season due to injury. Starting goalkeeper and Jamaican national team member, junior Shereena Chang, has missed the first four games because of a chipped bone in her ankle, but she is expected to return to the lineup for today’s game against Wagner. Though she will not play the whole game, Chang brings some much needed stability and inspiration to the defense. These setbacks have forced inexperienced players to step up and shift around to positions they’re not comfortable with.

“[Sophomores] Liza Yanuzzi, who has been really impressive, and Casey Hoffman have stepped in for the injured players,” Drake said.

Georgetown also has geared its game plan more onto the offensive side. “Last year we were strong in defense, and that’s how we won our games,” Drake said. “This year, we’re emphasizing the offense more because we’ve got more experience there.”

Though the Hoyas did not score against William & Mary, it was not because they were lacked effort. They had nine shots on goal, which rarely occurred last year, and had good performances out of freshman midfielder Lauren Calone and sophomore forward Karin Ostrander.

“I’m real positive about how we’re attacking, but now we’ve got to finish those chances,” Drake said. “Lauren Calone is instrumental in our attack. Ostrander wants and demands the ball.”

In hopes of finishing the homestand on that upnote, the Hoyas are going back to basics.

“We need to find a way to have fun with the game,” Drake said. “We’re spending too much time overanalyzing, and we’ve been putting too much pressure on ourselves.”

This season, Drake has also changed the game schedule to give the team more competition. She has added two NCAA tournament teams and dropped the last four games from the schedule.

“We need to play better teams to get better, and the strength of the schedule is much stronger now,” Drake said.

Before they take on stronger opponents, Georgetown will meet Wagner on today at 4 p.m. on Harbin Field, rounding out its five-game homestand.

Related Links

Women’s Soccer Schedule

Women’s Soccer Roster