No. 6 GU Returns to the Waters

Coming off its most successful season ever, the Georgetown co-ed sailing team returned to the waters last weekend in hopes of continuing where it left off.

With three solid performances in three different regattas, the Hoyas have made the first step towards another national championship run.

Competing at the Captain Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth College, the Hoyas, who were ranked No. 6 in the Sailing World college preseason rankings, faced their toughest competition of the weekend and finished in 19th place with 126 points.

In the A division senior Steve Streit and sophomore Emily Siguler sailed to 21st place while juniors Ed DuMoulin and Julia Graham took 13th in the B division.

No. 2 Harvard took first with 38 points. The University of Rhode Island finished in second and fourth-ranked Yale finished in third place.

At the Riley Cup at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va., the Hoyas had their best finish of the weekend. With a score of 132, Georgetown finished fourth behind No. 8 King’s Point, Cornell and No. 5 St. Mary’s.

At the Navy Laser Open in Annapolis, Md., the third regatta the Hoyas participated in over the weekend, Georgetown placed three sailors in the top 25. Sophomore Langdon Mitchell finished 15th, sophomore J.B. Turney finished 17th and junior Berry Kurland took 23rd. Sophomore Peeter Must of King’s Point finished first, followed by junior Charles Fulmer of Navy and sophomore Alex Steele of St. Mary’s in third.

The Hoyas will continue the fall season this weekend at four different regattas – the Nevins Trophy at USMMA, the Mrs. Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth, the Freshman Groundbreaker at SUNY aritime and the Ocean County College Fall Regatta at Ocean County College in Toms River, N.J.