No Waits at Yates

So you’ve resolved to exercise more this year.

As a paying member of Yates Field House, you wake up one morning and embark on the uphill trek to the gym (a workout itself), intending to hit the elliptical machines. Unfortunately a few other students seem to have gotten the same idea, and you’re stuck there – waiting for a machine. Maybe you’ll come back during those two hours between classes. But wait, those machines are still all taken. So you resolve to come back at night; surely by then everyone will be studying and those elusive ellipticals will all be free. Sorry, but you’re not the only one out for a late-night spin. The fitness initiative will have to start tomorrow.

Georgetown students work hard to stay in shape. In the winter months, when everyone is stuck indoors and Valentine’s Day and Spring Break creep up on the calendar, fitness can become a mania. The beleaguered elliptical machines at Yates – the default machine for staying slim – never seem to get a rest. The health benefits some students get from their daily workouts, however, are being negated by the rising blood pressure of those unfortunate souls who are forever waiting for their chance to pedal in place.

Although it seems unlikely that Yates will add more elliptical machines to its already limited space, the field house staff could take several steps to regulate the system and make sure everyone has a chance to use the machines.

Elliptical madness has gripped other campuses as well, and many have responded by creating sign-up sheets for half-hour intervals on the machines. This gives everyone a chance to work out and gives a clear indication of the waiting period for each machine. A handwritten sign-up sheet at the gym would help out a lot; an online sign-up would save many students and faculty a futile trip from their homes if the wait is too long.

Administrators should also consider creating small havens for aerobic exercise around campus which students could easily access. This could be as simple as placing a few running machines in the Southwest Quad or Riverside Lounge.

As a university that takes pride in its athletics and the physical wellbeing of its student body, Georgetown could at least make its fitness equipment readily available. Perhaps in such an image-conscious society, demand will always outstrip supply. Even so, it would not be difficult to organize the exercise machines better to allow everyone some time to use it, and to let people know when to come to the gym. That way people can stop sweating about finding an elliptical and start sweating on it.