Old and New Hoyas Top Ernst’s Expectations

After a disappointing 2-18 spring campaign, Georgetown opened its fall schedule, the individually-oriented portion of the college tennis season, last weekend, posting a combined record of 11-19 in singles matches and 6-6 in doubles contests.

Competing in the College of Charleston Tournament in South Carolina, the Hoyas went up against Coastal Carolina, High Point, North Florida, Charleston Southern and host College of Charleston.

“I was very happy,” Georgetown Head Coach Gordie Ernst. “We performed better than I expected.”

Junior Courtney Olsen led the way, going 2-1 in her singles matches and 2-1 on the doubles side as she teamed up with fellow junior Briana Kearney.

Olsen finished fifth out of 12 in the A flight singles. Kearney finished sixth of 12 in C flight singles with a 2-2 record.

Senior captain Liz Winokur went 2-2 in her singles and 1-1 in her doubles, playing with freshman Caroline Kuehn.

In the B flight doubles, Winokur and Kuehn finished fourth, followed by Olsen and Kearney, who came in fifth of seven teams.

The squad boasts four freshmen, no sophomores, four juniors and just two seniors. The freshmen, Kuehn, Maxi Thiels, Elizabeth Sullivan and Alex Sebia, will be called on to contribute to the team immediately. Ernst saw the freshmen give his team a “jolt” this past weekend and said that he hopes it will carry through the season.

Kuehn made a strong first impression, going 3-2 in her singles matches, finishing seventh out of 16 in the B flight. Sullivan also showed her potential, fighting hard in some close matches. She won a match in B flight singles and then had to play teammate Winokur in a match for 13th place.

Together Sullivan and Sebia advanced to the semi-finals of the C flight doubles.

Ernst said his team showed “an early season toughness” heading into next weekend’s Georgetown Classic. The event, played on the Hoyas’ home turf at the cDonough Tennis Complex offers the team another chance to get back into midseason form.

The men will compete in the Georgetown classic as well. Play gets underway this Friday.