Opportunity Knocks On the Strangest Doors

As I search for some pearl of wisdom to cap off my Hoya career, all I can think of is a conversation I once had with Susan Walsh, the former president of the White House News Photographers Association. When I asked her what advice she might have for aspiring photojournalists, Susan said gravely, “Always go to the bathroom when you get the chance.”Really?” the perplexed look on my face said, and Susan continued, “You never know the next time you’ll be near one.”

I think this piece of advice is applicable to all college students: Take advantage of every opportunity you have. We have been made well aware how privileged we are to be studying here, and this viewpoint is not intended to be a “these are the best years of your life” reminder. Just stay aware of the incredible opportunities and equally amazing people that surround you every day at Georgetown. In this sense, anywhere can be your own bathroom.

My proverbial outhouse has been The Hoya. I have rubbed shoulders with heads of state and Supreme Court justices and been stepped on by future NBA stars. I have also been frisked, questioned and threatened by more burly men with buzz cuts and earpieces than I care to admit. Besides free admission to plays and sporting events, The Hoya has allowed me to pursue a craft which I would have never been able to explore outside of a university setting. As a senior photo editor, I saw the sun rise two nights a week from the fourth floor of Leavey. The stress and strain of editing made me more mature and grow as a person in ways which I would have never thought possible. When I came to Georgetown, I enjoyed taking photos, and I will be leaving with a better understanding of my self as a photographer and as a person.

This is not to say that The Hoya is the only outlet in which one can have a similar experience. College is an opportunity for everyone to test the waters and see what’s out there. It has been a long, strange trip from crossing over the Leavey 421 threshold for the first time to now having my first byline in the approximately 200 issues of The Hoya for which I have been on staff. As a relatively “old man,” to paraphrase the writer Nikki Giovanni, I implore you to spend the next few weeks translating your life on the Hilltop onto the canvas in your mind. As 3 p.m. on May 19 approaches, one thing will be on my mind: locating the closest bathroom to Healy lawn. Graduation is a relatively long ceremony, after all.

Andreas Jeninga is a senior in the College. He is a former senior photo editor, contributing editor and chair of The Hoya’s Board of Directors.