Orange Snap Hoyas’ Victory Streak at Eight

All good things must come to an end.

The eight-game winning streak maintained by Georgetown’s women’s soccer team was finally broken in a gut-wrenching, double-overtime, 1-0 away loss to Big East rival Syracuse this past Sunday.

Head Coach Dave Nolan was diplomatic about the defeat.

“Well, I knew with the schedule we had, it wouldn’t last forever,” he said. “There was a lot of travel involved this weekend, and there was always a chance it would happen in one of the two games.”

Georgetown (10-2-1, 3-1-1) had a good start to its road trip on Friday by defeating St. John’s 5-6-2, 1-3-1), another conference team, in a solid 2-1 performance to improve its streak to eight consecutive victories, topping the all-time school record of seven consecutive wins back in 2002.

The Hoyas were the dominant team in the early part of the game and scored in the 33rd minute. Sophomore forward Elaina Filauro was fouled in the penalty box, and junior midfielder Chrissy Skogen converted the ensuing penalty kick to give the Hoyas a hard-fought lead.

St. John’s reacted immediately, however, and tied the game five minutes later thanks to a goal by sophomore midfielder Krystle Jalalian. The score remained 1-1 until halftime, but the Hoyas came out aggressively in the second half, and their pressure resulted in a goal in the 56th minute.

Filauro was once again involved as she beautifully controlled a long ball from sophomore defender Karen Waskewich 30 yards outside the box. She dribbled forward, and her vicious shot from 25 yards out beat the St. John’s keeper.

Nolan said he was very happy with Filauro’s performance. “Elaina has done really well for me this year,” he said. “She’s got great versatility, so she plays a lot of positions for us. She does everything you ask without question. She is a great team player.”

St. John’s desperately searched for an equalizer for the rest of the game. With less than 10 minutes to go, a shot by senior utility Kati Schantz hit the crossbar. In the final minutes, Georgetown survived another scare as senior defender Andrea Coukolis’ header off a free kick went whizzing past the goal post.

Overall, the game was extremely tight, with both teams looking positive in their attacks as Georgetown took 14 shots to St. John’s 15.

“Any time you can get a win on the road in the conference, it’s huge. St. John’s is a difficult place to play. We took care of business,” he said.

On Sunday, Georgetown traveled to Syracuse (3-5-4, 2-0-3) to take on the Orange in their second game of the weekend, looking confident to extend their winning streak to nine games.

The Orange had other ideas, however, taking six shots to the Hoyas’ four. Georgetown also had chances to score on three corner kicks, but none yielded a goal.

The second half was more or less even, with both teams looking to gain the advantage. Both Syracuse and Georgetown had five shots on goal, but Syracuse looked the more dominant side with three corners.

The Hoya defense stood strong, however, and denied the Orange any chance of snatching a late winner. Scoreless at the end of regulation, the game went into overtime.

The first overtime period saw a dominant Georgetown side, as the Hoyas took three shots on goal versus Syracuse’s one.

“We looked more likely to score in overtime,” Nolan said. “I didn’t feel we were going to lose the game. I thought at the worst we would get out with a tie,”

None of Georgetown’s efforts found the back of net, however, and the tense game went into double overtime, in which Syracuse snatched the game-winner in the third minute.

A Syracuse throw-in and some aggressive play put the ball in Georgetown territory. Freshman defender Lauren Cappelli found senior forward Nikki Spartano, who shot the ball in the upper right corner of the goal and dashed any hopes of a ninth-consecutive Hoya victory.

Despite the loss, Nolan was proud of the Hoyas’ performance.

“We played better in the Syracuse game than we did against St. John’s,” he said. “The toughest game was going to be the Syracuse one, but we played really well. It could have gone either way. There were chances for both teams. In fact, we created more chances against Syracuse than the previous three games combined.”

Nolan said that the Hoyas were probably a bit tired, but that Syracuse was tired, too, playing its fifth-consecutive overtime game.

The Hoyas were “disappointed,” he admitted, “but I think they know they played well and had chances. It wasn’t like we lost to a bad team. Syracuse is a much better team than their record suggests, and it’s always tough to play up there.”

Nolan said he was extremely satisfied with the team’s overall performance this past weekend and was optimistic about the upcoming games. Georgetown plays host to Louisville (8-4-0, 3-2-0) and Cincinnati (3-6-3, 1-3-1) in a Big East doubleheader this weekend.

“Louisville is a big game on Friday,” he said. “We haven’t faced them or Cincinnati before, and we’re looking forward to the weekend. It’s good to be back home.”