Performance at VA Help Hoyas Qualify For Postseason

The Georgetown track and field teams continued on their crescendo to the Big East Indoor Championship this past weekend, qualifying a host of Hoyas to the conference championship during the two-day Virginia Tech Invitational this past weekend. Senior Alex Baptiste jumped 11.55m to place 10th in the triple jump to qualify for the Big East. In the women’s 1000m, student Liz Maloy came in second, followed by graduate Susan Hendrick in fourth, sophomore Lauren Gregory in fifth and senior Joanna Rodgers in sixth, all four qualifying with Big East times. Also qualifying were junior Lise Ogrodnick and sophomore Renee Tomlin, coming in first and second in the mile run respectively with times of 4:56.08 and 4:58.88. Senior Maggie Infeld took first (10:04.01) in the 3000m, while junior Natasha LaBeaud finished a close second (10:04.18). Senior Ashley Hubbard placed fourth in the 400m and fifth in the 500m, while sophomore Sarah Wernik took eighth in the 200m. The 4×400 meter relay team finished fourth. Capping the impressive performance was the quartet of Rodgers, Tomlin, Hendrick and LaBeaud, who took first in the distance medley with a time of 11:54.52. The men also anchored a host of strong performances for the Hoyas in the distance events, as the trio of freshman Ayalew Taye (4:11.66), junior Levi Miller (4:11.99) and junior Alex Mason (4:12.62) swept the mile run, all posting Big East times and finishing first through third respectively, along with eighth place senior Shane Young. Senior Neil Grosscup finished third in the 800m, while senior Matt Debole, junior Andrew Bumbalough, and senior Rasheed Thompson took first through third in the 1000m. In the 3000m, senior Michael Banks, junior Mike Krisch and sophomore Alex Bean finished second, third, and fourth, adding to the ranks of Big East qualifiers. Finally, Georgetown wrapped up its impressive distance performance by taking both first and second in the distance medley. In other events, freshman Ryan Carter took fourth in the 55m dash, where teammate Kenny Mitchell narrowly missed the finals but still joined Carter in posting a Big East qualifying time. Sophomore Danny Harris qualified in two events finishing tenth in the 400m and second in the 500m. Teammate John Maloy qualified in the 500m as well, finishing fourth.