Pirates Rob Hoyas of Win

Georgetown ran into a red-hot Seton Hall team on Friday, falling to its conference foe in the Big East opener.

The Pirates (9-5, 1-0 Big East), who have now won eight of their last nine games, dealt the Hoyas (5-8, 0-1 Big East) their first home loss of the season. The 3-1 (30-23, 30-25, 26-30, 30-22) decision was the fourth-straight loss for Georgetown.

“All of us are a little disappointed in our play,” Georgetown Head Coach Arlisa Hagan said. “We knew that Seton Hall was a very well coached team, and tonight we did not meet the expectations of our game plan.”

The Pirates jumped out to a fast start, taking a 15-9 lead in the first game. After a timeout, the Hoyas rallied to score four straight points. They cut the deficit to one on the strength of four kills by freshman outside hitter Kortney Robinson, but 17-16 would be the closest the Hoyas would get in the first game, as they ultimately lost 30-23.

The second game was more of the same, with Georgetown falling behind early and never recovering despite closing in at 16-14. The Hoyas could not get into a rhythm on offense and dug themselves a hole heading into the third game.

“We couldn’t pass, and when you can’t pass you can’t play,” Hagan said. “Also, [Seton Hall was] very low-error and we were much higher-error. If we’re giving points away we’re going to come out on the losing side.”

The Hoyas committed 34 errors to the Pirates’ 25. Seton Hall also boasted a commanding edge in hitting percentage, as they hit at a .262 clip to Georgetown’s .128.

Hagan reminded her players of their game plan during the break and they stuck to it, scoring six straight points to open the third game. Freshman middle blocker Kiersten McKoy served to start the game, and also during a four-point run after the Pirates had cut the lead to 13-10. Georgetown controlled the third game and won 30-26.

“Seton Hall let us get on a run and we capitalized on it,” junior outside hitter Kate Nulty said. “We played exactly how we should have played.”

The Pirates righted the ship in the fourth game, getting a quick 9-3 lead and eventually extending it to 19-9. The Hoyas went on a five-point run while Robinson served, but it was too little, too late: Seton Hall won the game 30-22. Georgetown committed 10 errors in the decisive fourth game, while Seton Hall made just four.

The Hoyas were led by Robinson, who had 13 kills on offense and 12 digs on defense. Senior middle blocker and co-captain Annie Connor led in kills, with a game-high 15, and had a .316 hitting percentage.

Sophomore outside hitter Jessica Buffum also turned in a strong performance, notching nine digs and nine kills. Nulty led the defense with 14 digs.

Seton Hall received solid contributions across the board, with three Pirates recording double-digit digs and four scoring double-digit kills. Sophomore middle blocker Tricia Meyers stood out with 14 kills and a game-high hitting percentage of .522.

Inexperience in conference play may have been a factor in the Hoyas’ loss. Georgetown started three sophomores – Buffum, setter Caitlin Boland and middle blocker Kit Neisen – as well as two freshmen – Robinson and outside hitter Dana Dumas.

“The Big East is going to be very, very challenging for us, but I think as we continue to develop and get out all the kinks it will be a fun season,” Hagan said.

Though the Hoyas were picked to finish in the lower half of the Big East, the team remains optimistic about its chances of in-conference success this year.

“We are still figuring things out and working out some glitches, but we will show up for the [Big East] tournament,” Nulty said. “We are definitely looking to go to the Big East Tournament this year.”

The Hoyas continue Big East play this Friday as they play host to Marquette (6-8, 1-1 Big East) at 7 p.m. at McDonough Gymnasium.