Promote Green Policies

Over the summer, we all saw the debate begin in Washington. We heard discussions about offshore drilling, nuclear power and corn-ethanol subsidies, just to name a few. With all these debates going on around us, we should start to examine our own campus and our personal actions.

And, surprisingly, Georgetown’s environmental policy seems to be catching up to the times, even if it is still behind the curve. With a little digging, it’s easy to find many of Georgetown’s more proactive approaches to paring down our environmental impact. Initiatives like the fuel cell bus program, which has been in existence for more than 20 years, show Georgetown’s commitment to the environment, and “smaller” changes, like the installation of compact fluorescent light bulbs, all go a long way toward making Georgetown a greener campus.

What impresses us most about these changes is that Eco-Action played a big role in shaping Georgetown’s environmental policy.

Of course, there remains a lot that Georgetown can improve, but many of these changes must be made by us.

While students living in dorms may not have to worry about their energy bills, they should still be aware of their energy consumption. It takes minimal effort to turn off the lights or unplug unused cell phone chargers, but it can make a big difference.

Professors should keep in mind that in the age of e-mail and Blackboard, it is unnecessary for students to receive so many paper hand-outs. When printing is necessary, professors should be able to have their packets printed double-sided. Also, using half-inch margins can make a notable difference.

To us, there’s no debate: We all need to contribute if we want to see the greener side of Georgetown.