Rams Run Over Hoyas

Mitch Fox/The Hoya Fordham sophomore running back Rashawn Haynes picks up a couple of the Rams’ 158 rushing yards.

Coming into Saturday’s game against Fordham, Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson stressed that he wanted his offense to control the tempo of the game to keep Fordham’s key playmakers off the field. But Georgetown only held the ball for 25:55, and junior quarterback Kevin Eakin, junior running back Kirwan Watson and junior wide receiver Javarus Dudley led Fordham to 549 yards of total offense and a 41-10 victory over the Hoyas on Harbin Field.

Georgetown kept the game close early despite Eakin’s 11 consecutive completions. Eakin’s first incompletion came when Charles Boyle picked off a pass at the Fordham 24-yard-line with score 14-3 Fordham with 8:51 remaining in the first half. On the ensuing possession, a great reception by junior Walter Bowser and a gracious spot on third and nine gave the Hoyas first and 10 on the 14-yard line. But on the next play sophomore quarterback Andrew Crawford forced a ball into the endzone and into the hands of one of the three Fordham defenders around junior wide receiver Luke cArdle.

“It’s a game of field position and emotion,” Benson said. “And that was a big emotion. We have to take advantage of changes in momentum like that. We’re not good enough to try to just hang in there and go head to head with these guys.”

Five plays later, Watson took a handoff from Eakin and knifed through the offensive line on his way to a 42-yard touchdown run. The Rams tacked on another touchdown, making the score 28-3 at halftime.

At the half, Benson decided the team needed a spark and for the second time this season replaced his starting quarterback mid-game. This time, senior Dave Paulus, the starter at that position during the 2000 season, took over for Crawford.

“I wasn’t expecting it,” Paulus said of Benson’s locker room decision. To this point, Paulus had not been taking many snaps in practices and admitted that he made several mistakes by missing motion calls. Paulus’s strength, however, lies in his improvisational skills and those skills carried him on his third drive of the game. Paulus found senior tight end Bo Cote in the back of the endzone, to cap a 95-yard drive to make the score 34-10 in the third quarter.

“The play was late coming in and since the play clock was running down we couldn’t implement the motion at all so we just ran it,” Paulus said. “I saw Bo in the back of the endzone and he had a huge height advantage. I just put it up there hoping he could make a play on it.”

Paulus completed eight of 11 pass attempts for 109 yards. His longest strike came on a 40-yard completion to McArdle. McArdle finished with four receptions for 85 yards. With running backs John Sims and Kim Sarin injured, freshman Marcus Slayton assumed the majority of handoffs for Georgetown. Slayton took the ball 10 times for 30 yards.

Until Cote’s endzone reception, the Hoyas had not scored a touchdown in 107 minutes and three seconds, a span that covered three games.

Aside from the Hoyas’ 95-yard scoring drive, after Crawford’s second quarter interception Fordham controlled the game.

Eakin controlled the flow of the game through the Rams’ pass-driven offense, completing 21-25 passes for 376 yards and three touchdowns, connecting for all three scoring passes with last year’s Patriot League Player of the Year, Dudley. Dudley finished the game with seven receptions for 224 yards.

“He’s great,” Benson said. “That’s why he was Patriot League Player of the Year last year.”

In the first half, Dudley did not figure heavily into the Rams offense as Eakin repeatedly exploited seams in the Georgetown defense and found sophomore wide receiver Steve Porco wide open for 91 yards.

Meanwhile, Watson quietly picked up 91 yards and two touchdowns in the first half en route to a 107 yard rushing day.

As they have done all season, the Hoyas repeatedly hurt their cause by making fundamental mistakes. While Crawford’s interception was the most notable, missed tackles on all three of Fordham’s first-half touchdown runs and a missed block on a would-be touchdown reception by junior fullback William Huisking burned the Hoyas to the tune of a potential 28 point swing.

“We made a bunch of mistakes today,” Boyle said. “We missed some tackles, missed some blocks. We’re just a few plays away.”

While Paulus replaced Crawford at the start of the second half, Crawford returned to the game in the fourth quarter after Paulus sustained an injury to his left forefoot when a defensive lineman chased Paulus from the pocket and fell on his legs. Paulus does not believe the injury to be anything serious despite limping off the field after the play and after the game.