Spring, Leaders Inaugurated

Ruthie Braunstein/The Hoya The fountain in Dahlgren Quadrangle erupts after it was switched on the second annual Fountain Day.

Georgetown students celebrated the coming of spring and looked to the future of the university Monday at the Second Annual Fountain Day.

The celebration was an unofficial kick-off for spring at Georgetown as well as the swearing in of GUSA President Ryan DuBose (COL ’02) and Vice President Brian Walsh (COL ’02).

The festivities included food and performances by the GU Band, the Georgetown Chamber Singers, the Chimes, the Grace Notes and the Phantoms.

“Georgetown in the only university in America, and probably in the world for that matter, that decides whether or not spring is allowed to arrive,” University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., said during his speech.

O’Donovan also recognized, in the order of their height, the four graduating seniors of the basketball team, Ruben Boumtje Boumtje, Lee Scruggs, Nathaniel Burton and Anthony Perry.

“Georgetown basketball is back,” O’Donovan said, referring to the team’s run to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA en’s Basketball Championship Tournament.

Hoya Blue representatives congratulated the team for giving the student body so much to cheer about and then presented the players with a plaque commemorating the season from the student body.

“Now I am going to announce the arrival of spring to the world, I think I get to flip the switch,” O’Donovan said as he began a countdown with the students. The successful starting of the fountain was met with cheers from everyone present.

There was a smaller number of people for the swearing in of DuBose and Walsh because the crowd thinned out after the fountain was activated.

Outgoing GUSA Vice President Jacques Arsenault (COL ’01) began by thanking Georgetown for a great year.

“I have deep gratitude for the experience, lessons and opportunities Georgetown has given me. Thank you for the opportunity to serve as student body vice president,” Arsenault said.

After Arsenault swore Walsh in, he gave a short speech thanking, in his words, “everyone.”

“I can’t tell you how excited I am to be here. Thanks Tawan and Jacques for an excellent example of how to lead. We are honored to follow in your place,” Walsh said.

Walsh said that he has high hopes for the future of Georgetown.

“There is nothing wrong with Georgetown that can’t be fixed. Help us make this a greater university,” Walsh said.

GUSA President Tawan Davis (COL ’01) also reflected upon his year in office before swearing in DuBose.

“It has been a wonderful year for Georgetown and the student association. I greatly appreciate the opportunity to serve our school. I am excited for next year and know that Ryan and Brian will do a good job,” Davis said.

Following his swearing in, DuBose recognized those who had stayed and warned that his speech would be “lengthy but short” and that they should hang in there.

“This school, these buildings and this fountain are ours. A little bit of Georgetown goes with us and a little bit of us stays with Georgetown. It is this give and take relationship that has created tradition and a great university,” DuBose said.

DuBose urged students to take an active role at Georgetown.

“It is important to take ownership of our school. When we find respect we become unified and truly belong to a diversified, open-minded school,” DuBose said.

“Live and learn at a school that belongs to you,” said DuBose.

A barbecue was held on Copley Lawn after the ceremonies at which hamburgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers were served. In the end, demand for the free food was so high that supplies ran out.

This is only the second time Fountain Day has been celebrated and GUSA representatives said they hope it becomes a long-standing tradition at Georgetown. Last year was the first occasion of the event. Both Fountain Day 2001 and the barbeque that followed were sponsored by GUSA.