Student Awarded Beinicke Scholarship

Georgetown student Lindsay Oishi (COL ’03) was recently named one of this year’s 20 winners of the Beinecke Brothers emorial Scholarship.

The Beinecke scholarships are part of a national program established in 1971 in memory of Edwin, Frederick and Walter Beinecke. The board of directors of the Sperry and Hutchinson Company created an endowment in order to grant scholarship money to promising undergraduate students for use in their graduate education. The scholarship is awarded to students who plan to attend graduate school in the arts, humanities or social sciences.

Oishi, a native of Honolulu, Hawaii, and a graduate of Roosevelt High School, is a philosophy major with minors in cognitive science and history. After graduating from Georgetown, she would like to attend a graduate school in California and plans to study philosophy or enroll in a joint J.D./Ph.D. program.

Eventually, Oishi said she would like to become a teacher or professor of philosophy. She also plans to remain socially involved alongside her career.

“I’m hoping to continue learning and to teach philosophy and other subjects at both the high school and collegiate level,” Oishi said of her future. “I love the process of inquiry and participating in a community of other people who enjoy it. I also think that the skills taught by studying philosophy foster a love for learning that empowers students to succeed in other fields.”

Oishi also teaches an SAT preparation class to high school students and is a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. She also worked as an administrative assistant for the Center for the Economic Analysis of Law, a non-profit organization that researches and provides analyses on public policy issues related to economics and the law.

Special Assistant to the Provost Serafina Hager initially encouraged Oishi to apply for the Beinecke scholarship because she thought Oishi fit the qualifications. The scholarship is awarded based on strong academic qualifications as well as some degree of financial need. Over 100 universities across the nation are eligible to nominate a student for one of the scholarships.

“Lindsay is an extraordinary scholar and a student who takes an interest in community service. I congratulate her on her success and am proud of her achievement,” Georgetown College Dean Jane McAuliffe said.

Oishi’s interest in philosophy began in high school. She is interested in philosophy because she believes it is at the base of all of the disciplines in college and fundamental to education, she said.

“I’m really grateful for this opportunity because without the scholarship I would not be able to attend graduate school,” Oishi said.

The Beinecke Brothers Memorial Scholarship includes $30,000 for graduate school and $2,000 prior to entering graduate school. Since the program’s establishment, more than 275 students from 92 schools have received this honor.