Student Robbed at Gunpoint on 34th St.

ROBBERY Student Robbed at Gunpoint on 34th St. By Justin Droms Special to The Hoya

A female Georgetown student was robbed at gunpoint last Friday night, Nov. 10, on the 1300 block of 34th Street at 1 a.m. The student was attacked while waiting for a SafeRides van.

DPS officials said they could not disclose the identity of the female student, but did indicate that she was physically unharmed. The suspects are two black males and they remain at large. They stole her purse, which contained nothing valuable.

The Metropolitan Police Department, DPS and GERMS responded, but a search of the area was unsuccessful, as the victim could not provide an accurate description of the perpetrators.

This assault comes less than a month after another female Georgetown student was robbed at gunpoint at 37th and T Streets.

Chief William Tucker of DPS said he thinks students can stay safe as long as they think preventatively and act cautiously.

“Know your surroundings, be familiar with what has occurred [in that area] and pay attention to DPS alerts – they are solely for your safety,” Tucker advised. Above all, Tucker recommends that students use common sense. He also said that students should avoid walking alone or carrying large sums of money.

If attacked, “as soon as possible call the police,” Tucker emphasized, saying that students sometimes wait until the next day to report assaults, making investigation efforts significantly harder.

“We have made a few arrests this year,” Tucker said, adding that the number of robberies this year is not higher than in previous years.

Three other robberies have occurred this academic year, though two took place in Burleith, outside of DPS jurisdiction, Tucker said.

When responding to an incident such as last Friday’s 34th Street mugging, DPS says protocol first addresses the physical safety of the victim. DPS officers then call MPD, which surveys the area. However, these searches often prove unfruitful, as is evidenced by MPD’s failure to apprehend the suspects in Friday night’s robbery.

Nearby, the George Washington University is faced with similar problems. According to GU Campus Police Director Delores Stafford, three to four robberies per semester happen on or near GW’s campus, with “a couple this semester.”

As an alternative, DPS recommends that students use Omega Phi Si, a student-run transportation service that takes GU students to almost anywhere in the city, free of charge. The shuttle runs Sunday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

GW’s campus shuttle system transports 50,000 students per year on campus, Stafford said. The system includes campus-wide shuttles, buses and `On Demand,’ a system similar to Georgetown’s SafeRides.