Support Hoya Hoops

Friday marks the beginning of an exciting time of year at Georgetown: men’s basketball season.

The Hoyas will kick off their season on the road this Friday in Annapolis against Navy. This season is an important one, both for the Hoyas and the Big East. Ranked No. 6 in one of the toughest conferences around, Georgetown has big shoes to fill. With the increased size and depth of the Big East, there are new opponents and new enemies. The hype of basketball season on the Hilltop brings thrills to the students who make the trek to MCI Center. For the first time since the Hoyas began playing at MCI Center, over 1,000 students have purchased season tickets. Clearly, the students know what’s coming. Who isn’t excited to see Jeff Green’s mom in the crowd this season?

If last year was any indication, the Hoyas can give students something to rally around. Those students who were present for the final moments of last year’s game against Notre Dame are back for more. For the second year, John Thompson III leads a team of talented and hard-working individuals who want to be a part of a winning tradition. JTIII has built up quite a reputation in the Big East and the entire NCAA. Brandon Bowman (COL ’06) even decided to stick it out another year – for good reason. Thompson is definitely building a team worth watching.

The first home game of the 2005-06 season will be held on Nov. 26 at MCI. Most of us will have to wait until Dec. 11 to feel the thrill of hearing the starting lineup and watching the tip-off, even though Thanksgiving will definitely be a well-deserved study break.

Next semester, the Duke Blue Devils and the Syracuse Orangemen are coming to town. Show your support for the team and jump on the bus to MCI. A sea of blue and gray will strike fear in our opponents and mark a new era in Georgetown basketball. A thousand Hoyas can’t be wrong. If you haven’t gotten your season tickets yet, you might want to reconsider.