Take the Country Back With Sen. John Kerry

Take the Country Back With Sen. John Kerry By Nathan Fennessy, Jim Lenihan and Tim McCann

Democrats across the country are united in their belief that George W. Bush must be defeated in 2004. What separates us is the question of which of the 10 Democratic presidential candidates is the best man or woman to carry our party’s banner in the fight to replace him. Which candidate has the presence, the stature and the charisma necessary to connect with voters of all ages and backgrounds and win back the vital center of the American electorate? Which candidate has the most distinguished resume of courageous leadership and advocacy for fundamental Democratic values? Which candidate has a positive vision for our nation’s future that revives the fundamental American traditions of opportunity at home and strong, principled leadership abroad?

A growing number of voters around the country and here on campus are coming to the conclusion that Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts is without a doubt the answer to these questions. Sen. Kerry’s entire adult life has been the very embodiment of the courage and principle we once demanded from our political leaders. As a young man graduating from Yale, John Kerry volunteered for frontline service in Vietnam and went on to earn a bronze star, a silver star and three purple hearts. Returning home disillusioned by the lies he had been told by his own government, he became a leader in the anti-war movement. He gave a major address before the Senate, was featured in his own “60 Minutes” segment and made Richard Nixon’s infamous Enemies List – and all this while still in his 20s. Later, as a prosecutor in assachusetts, he fought to establish one of the nation’s first rape crisis centers. As a young lieutenant governor, he earned a national reputation as one of the fledgling environmental movement’s most passionate and articulate leaders.

In his two decades in the Senate, Kerry has established himself as a leader on foreign policy issues. It was John Kerry who fought to uncover the Iran-Contra scandal and Reagan’s illegal war in Nicaragua. It was John Kerry who led the investigation into anuel Noriega’s drug trafficking connections and forced George H. W. Bush to take action against the Panamanian dictator. It was John Kerry who teamed with John McCain and fought to get answers about American MIA’s unaccounted for in Vietnam. It was John Kerry whose first book, The New War, discussed the emergence of cross-border terrorism as the premier threat to American national security – more than three years before the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

No other candidate in the Democratic field can come close to matching Kerry’s record of courage, service and leadership, just as no other candidate has articulated a vision for America’s future as fair, as bold and as forward-thinking as Kerry’s. Other leading candidates have tapped into a vein of Democratic outrage and are running with the goal of “taking the country back” from the Republicans. Kerry understands and shares this outrage, but has chosen instead to tap into the hopes and values that unite all Americans and is running with the goal of taking the country forward. Kerry stands for an economic policy that doesn’t place the burden of our national responsibilities solely on the backs of the middle class. He stands for an energy policy that protects our pristine wilderness and promotes the innovation of new technologies, a veritable “Apollo Project” for the 21st century with the goal of complete energy independence by 2020. He stands for a foreign policy that doesn’t turn its back on the institutions and alliances that served us so well through the great challenges of the last century, and instead embraces these alliances as a vital and necessary part of our struggle to face our common challenges in the next century.

Growing numbers of students around the country have been signing up for Students for Kerry to help fight for this positive vision and for the bold leader who has put it forth. Located as we are in the heart of the nation’s political universe, the Georgetown chapter of Students for Kerry is in a unique position to participate more actively in this historic election. We invite all students to visit our website at www.hoyasforkerry.com to find out more about Sen. Kerry, why we support him and how you can get involved in helping John Kerry become the next president of the United States.

Jim Lenihan is a senior in the College and is the founder and chairman of Hoyas for Kerry. Tim McCann is a senior in the School of Foreign Service and is the director of communications. Nathan Fennessy is a senior in the College and is the vice president.