Terps Take Down Hoyas in Four

Terps Take Down Hoyas in Four

By Victor Calderon Special to The Hoya

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team returned to the Hilltop on Tuesday night to rebound from a tough trip out west. Georgetown faced long -time rival Maryland in what promised to be a great match before a McDonough crowd equally divided between both teams. Despite having more kills (74 for the Hoyas and 66 for the Terrapins) and a higher team hitting percentage, Georgetown lost the match three games to one.

Maryland won the first game 15-10, capitalizing on 12 errors by Georgetown. The Terps held the Hoyas to a low hitting percentage of .109. Maryland outside hitter Carey Brennan led the attack and would finish the game with a team-high 21 kills and 19 digs. The Terps would also hit a match-best .279 in the game.

The Hoyas raced out of the blocks in the second game, leading 11-0 at one point behind a balanced team effort led by outside hitters senior Kiran Gill and junior Yulia Vtyurina. Gill finished with team-highs in kills, digs and hitting percentage with 28, 17 and .444, respectively. The second game was the best of the match for the Hoyas on both sides of the court. The Hoyas enjoyed a .467 hitting percentage while boxing the Terps, who only mustered a minuscule .029.

But the Terps would soon evolve into a powerful team that Georgetown could just not equal. The third and fourth games went back and forth between both teams. The difference was that Maryland made the big plays when needed. Terps middle blocker Nnenna Amobi came up with two huge blocks that served as momentum for the aryland squad. Terps setter Lindsay Davey served up a game- high 59 assists, but did not overshadow her Georgetown counterpart, freshman outside hitter Jennifer Ward. Ward played another complete game as Georgetown’s only setter and was all over the court, finishing with an impressive 55 assists and 11 digs.

As it is still so early in the season, Head Coach Li Liu is sure her team will improve as the season goes along.

“Skill-wise, we are improving each game and the team has a great attitude, but we need to improve our mental focus,” Liu said.

Coming off of last season’s unexpected success, which saw the Hoyas stun Notre Dame for the Big East Championship, the team came in not looking to win, but not to lose, which are two different things according to Liu.

The Maryland game allowed the majority of the Georgetown team to see playing time, including sophomore middle blocker Anna Kleinsorge, and sophomore defensive specialists Anna Sones and Kin-Ling Sham. Liu says that this “will allow us to play together and support each other.”

Next up, the women’s volleyball squad will head out to sunny California for the University of San Diego tournament. This will serve as a sort of homecoming for the Hoyas. Seven of the 12 players hail from the Golden State. It will not be an easy tournament as Georgetown will face two of the nation’s Top-25 teams in San Diego and Michigan State.

Still, Liu is confident. “The team knows what we need to improve on its 4-4 record so far to be successful this season.”