The Hoya |

TO THE EDITOR:

I am a Blue and Gray tour guide, and last Friday, my 3:05 tour was disrupted by a group of students from GU PRIDE posing as prospective Hoyas. Soon after the tour began, one started grilling me on LGBTQ resources offered by Georgetown. I apologized that I was relatively ignorant thereof, but did mention GU PRIDE’s recent activities on campus.

With that, a second student began demanding that I inform the tour group about the recent assaults in which the victims were allegedly called homophobic slurs. This outburst lasted for a minute more before I – all the while being met with the stares of bewildered parents – and my Irish temper had had enough: “Look,” I told them, quite forcibly, “my name isn’t Jack DeGioia, and I’m not the president of this university. I’m just trying to train this kid [my guide-in-training, Mike] on how to give a tour and to get these people back to their parking meters!”

Yet, the students would not relent, that is until two parents told them (again, quite forcibly) to “shut up.” And they really should have – flyer, petition, rally, get the word out, but individuals disrupting campus tours goes too far.

This is a base tactic that misses the political mark: If an anti-gay culture exists at Georgetown, it is not because of prospective students. This particular move by GU PRIDE left me – an individual who has been influenced positively by so many LGBTQ individuals, and is, as such, very receptive to the organization’s cause – with a stale taste in my mouth.

I didn’t leave the incident thinking, “Wow, social justice in action!” Instead, I found myself thinking, “Jerks.” And this is, given the tactic, the conclusion I would have reached regardless of the sex, race, creed, ethnicity, national origin, or sexual orientation of the people who employed it.

James Kelly (COL ’09)

Oct. 24, 2007