‘The Price Is Right’ Host Donates $1 Million to GU Law Center

Hoya Staff Writer Friday, May 19, 2006

Popular television personality and long-time animal rights advocate Bob Barker has donated $1 million to the Law Center for the expansion of its curriculum in animal rights law, according to a university press release. The donation is one of several Barker has made to law schools across the country for similar purposes the press release said. Law Center Professor Valerie Stanley, who teaches an animal law seminar, said in an interview that the “esoteric” study of animal rights law still needs more attention. “I am sorry to say that almost `anything goes’ in our treatment of animals,” Stanley said. “Only a very small window of treatment of animals is truly illegal, and it is usually the most egregious type of cruelty.” Stanley said that the use of animals for laboratory testing and food is still largely ignored, and that only domesticated animals receive the most basic animal rights under the current system of law. Several options are available to the Law Center for allocation of the funds, including fieldwork opportunities for students and expanded student-initiated projects, the press release said. “Personally,” Stanley said, “I would like to see mini clinics, where students could gain valuable hands-on experience working on developing solutions to the legal problems facing animals.” Barker, who has hosted “The Price is Right” for more than three decades, famously closes each episode of the program with his own statement advocating animal rights, reminding the audience to “help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered.” Barker could not be reached for comment.