Three Freshmen Tie for CAC

Three Freshmen Tie for CAC

Runoff Election Scheduled for Thursday

By Heath Carter Hoya News Writer

The College Academic Council will hold a runoff election this Thursday to fill the fourth spot for the freshman class. The council held a general electionWednesday, Sept. 29 in which Mita enezes and Justin Wagner won with 45 votes each and Brian Soja won with 34 votes. Three students, Edward Chaglassian, Sarah Goldstein and Whet Smith, tied for fourth place with 30 votes each.

The CAC has placed a ban on putting up additional fliers in the days leading up to the election, according to Menezes, because the candidates’ fliers are still up from the first election. Therefore, all campaigning will be done on a word-of-mouth basis. For the general elections, all candidates had a $30 spending limit on campaign materials.

The CAC is the body primarily responsible for improving relations between College students and the College Dean’s office and acting as a liaison between them.

Wagner said he was excited to work on the council. “Improving technology and adding a business minor are two options I’d like to explore,” he said.

Menezes said she wanted to work on improving student-teacher relations and the student peer adviser program. She said she would like to see students having more personal conferences with their teachers and she is interested in establishing a student adviser program for different majors. “I’m really excited just to get to the position of freshman rep,” she said.

Chaglassian said his involvement with student government in high school and the “social and academic issues” that he dealt with in high school are proof of his ability to perform well as a freshman representative on the council.

Meanwhile, Goldstein said that she is “enthusiastic and determined” and will work hard to improve student relations with the dean’s office. She said that it is unrealistic for freshman to make specific campaign promises, but that she is committed to carrying out the wishes of the freshman class.

Smith referred to his involvement, “especially in senior year, on academic issues” in high school. He also said as a member of the GUSA Academic Affairs Committee, he hoped to establish better relations between GUSA and the council.

The election will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. in the New South Lobby.