Two Defeats End GU’s Year

It was a merciful end to the season for the Georgetown women’s volleyball team, which lost its final two matches of 2005 to finish the year with an overall 6-22 record – the team’s worst mark in 21 years.

Georgetown (2-12 Big East) fell to the Long Island Blackbirds Friday in three straight games, 30-22, 30-20, 30-23. The Hoyas’ play has certainly been worse – they outblocked the Blackbirds 8-7 – but their performance was not enough to top their non-conference opponent.

Senior outside hitter Rachel Nelson led the way with 15 kills for the Hoyas and was the only Georgetown player to hit double digits in that category. On the other side of the court, the Blackbirds had three players with double-digit kills and a .320 team hitting percentage against the Hoyas’ .129.

Georgetown did not take a lead in the match until the second game, going up 3-1 before a 13-6 Long Island run. In the third game the Hoyas again took a 3-1 lead, and the Blackbirds broke through eight ties to put the game away.

Two days later, in its season-ending trip to Seton Hall, Georgetown was swept, 30-28, 30-20, 30-26.

All the games were close, but Seton Hall clicked when it counted and made fewer errors than Georgetown when the game was on the line. The Pirates had a .323 hitting percentage, compared to just .129 for the Hoyas.

Nelson, playing in her last match of her collegiate career, continued to lead the Hoyas both on and off the court. She had 16 kills and just missed her 13th double-double of the season with nine digs. Nelson finished her Hoya career with over 1,000 kills and nearly 900 digs, despite an injury-plagued junior year.

Sophomore outside hitter Katie Nulty, a libero for the first half of the season, had 11 kills and eight digs. Freshman setter Caitlin Boland handed out 46 assists and had 10 digs to help the Hoya defensive effort.

Seton Hall junior middle blocker Jessica King, with 17 kills and a .395 hitting percentage Sunday, was named Big East Co-Player of the Week.

The Hoyas will now have some time off to regroup before they start focusing on next year. Head Coach Li Liu has a tough recruiting task in front of her; many of Georgetown’s losses this year were due to a shortage of players, and some fresh blood is sorely needed.