U.S. Must Protect Borders

The highly-charged illegal immigration debate currently under discussion in this country is extremely important. It is a curious debate to me, though, because in my mind, no respected person supports illegal immigration, so how can there even be a debate?

What I have unfortunately observed is that those who advocate broader immigration reform have hijacked the issue of illegal immigration. These advocates try to wrap the problem of illegal aliens coming into this country into a larger discussion about immigration into the United States. Since then, a murky cloud has surrounded what is a crystal-clear issue. Stopping illegal immigration in this country is a clear legal and national security issue, not just a fringe concern for those with larger motives regarding immigration.

Whether you agree with the laws of the U.S. or not, the law is clear on immigration: if you are entering this country outside the legal conduits of entry, you are breaking the law. Period. End of discussion. The people who decide to enter this country illegally have the choice to enter illegally or not. They should not be surprised, then, by the consequences of that action, which, under the law, is immediate deportation. Thousands of miles on the northern and southern boundaries of this country lie unprotected every second of the day for people to trespass. Terrorists have been caught more than once on the northern border, and the southern border is a well-known conduit for drugs, gangs and illegal labor. As U.S. citizens, we should be outraged that our government is abdicating its basic duty of protecting its citizens.

What has our government done about this issue – hardly anything positive. Currently, illegal aliens have access to our public school system, which should be reserved for the citizens of this nation – that is, those who are paying the taxes to fund these schools. Illegal aliens also have access to healthcare, which again, the taxpayers of this country are subsidizing. Illegal aliens do not have health insurance and do not have the money to pay hospital bills; the U.S., however, still mandates that illegal aliens are provided emergency hospital care, and the hospitals and taxpaying citizens of this country must foot the bill. This burden on our healthcare system is bankrupting hospitals all across the country and even forcing some to close. Providing free education and healthcare to the millions of illegal aliens is costing our citizens millions of dollars a year. By eliminating free education and healthcare for illegal aliens, we would free up billions of dollars a year to serve our citizens – precisely what that money was meant for in the first place.

Unfortunately for us, though, it gets worse. There are initiatives in states across the country to give illegal aliens drivers’ licenses and in-state college tuition. How can anyone honestly advocate that people who should not even be in this country, and who disrespect the laws of the United States by entering this country illegally, deserve a citizen’s most basic type of identification in the form of a driver’s license? Our country could potentially be giving a terrorist or drug runner a legal form of identification to perform his or her deplorable deeds. In regards to in-state tuition proposals, these initiatives would give illegal aliens rights even some American citizens don’t have. This is on top of the fact that the United States would again be forcing the taxpaying citizens to subsidize criminals. In my mind, nothing is more unconstitutional and mind-boggling than this.

The argument offered that illegal immigrants are “a benefit to our economy” and therefore “a benefit to our citizenry” is weak at best. First, even if I accepted this line of thinking, I do not recall our laws being set up to justify illegal actions simply because the end results are good. Robin Hood would still go to jail (and rightly so) no matter how noble his action of “stealing from the rich to give to the poor” is, because to steal is to break the law. In addition, our government must crack down on the businesses in this country that hire illegal aliens. Companies who engage in the practice of hiring illegal aliens are wrong and are also performing an illegal act. The government must hold them accountable. I am a business owner myself and very pro-American business. I would never, however, hire an illegal alien for any job. I frown on my colleagues who do not do the same.

The issue of illegal immigration is clear: We must restore order and security to our borders so we can protect ourselves and preserve the greatness of this nation.

Andrew Clark is a junior in the McDonough School of Business.