University Alum Dies in Car Accident

In a tragic event, 24-year-old Georgetown alum Eric J. Bayreuther (MSB ’00) was killed in a car accident on the evening of March 31.

A native of Massepequa, N.Y., Bayreuther was on his way home from the Mets’ season opener with friend John Clerkin, who was driving. Bayreuther was instantly killed after the car crashed into a dump truck, a collision that smashed the car’s windshield.

A graduate of Chaminade High School on Long Island, Bayreuther entered Georgetown in 1996.

“He will be greatly missed by his friends and neighbors who loved him,” an April 2 obituary appearing in New York’s Newsday read.

Clerkin was allegedly driving irresponsibly and weaving in and out of traffic, according to witnesses. It was at 9:51 p.m. when Clerkin attempted to pass the dump truck but inadvertently crashed into it, Detective Sgt. Richard Laursen of the Homicide Squad said.

Clerkin was arrested after the police officer on the scene smelled alcohol on his breath and noticed his eyes were glassy and his words were slurred. Clerkin was treated for cuts and bruises at the Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.

After refusing to take a blood test, the police obtained a court order to draw fluid. While currently charged with DWI refusal, conclusions from his toxicology exam could cause him to face further charges.