University Tightens Party Policies

The party scene at Georgetown is about to change.

New policies governing at on-campus parties will go into effect next semester, restricting attendance and increasing registration regulations. Resident assistants will also be stationed in apartment complexes and townhouses for the first time.

Under the new policies, which will go into effect on Oct. 1, students wishing to host parties in their campus apartments or townhouses will be required to attend a training session in September and inform the university of planned weekend parties by 10 a.m. on the Thursday before. No more than 25 to 35 people – depending on the size of the residence – will be allowed in an apartment or townhouse for any purpose. Currently, the maximum occupancy for Alumni Square apartments is 25 people.

The decision marks the second time this semester that administrators have decided to tighten the university’s party codes. In January, administrators announced that they would institute a one-keg limit at on-campus parties and boost parental notification for repeat offenders of the alcohol policy.

The most recent policy changes will “soon” be formally announced to the student body, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said yesterday.

Olson added that he has been working with members of GUSA and other student leaders throughout the semester to discuss issues related to party notification and size guidelines for social gatherings.

The Office of Student Affairs also decided to replace the staff of apartment managers in university apartments and townhouses with a staff of 20 resident advisors. According to a statement from Stephanie Lynch, the director of residence life, apartment managers focus mainly on inspections and administrative concerns, while the resident assistants will devote more attention to organizing programs, settling disputes and “being a visible and active presence on the hall.”

Olson said that the resident advisors make their residences “more welcoming, engaging and safe for students.”

Student reaction to the decision yesterday was mixed. Some said that they feel the university is taking appropriate measures to ensure student safety.

Rebecca Heide (SFS ’09), a resident assistant in Village C West who will reside in Nevils next semester, applauded the university’s attempts to communicate its policies to students and promote safety and responsibility. She added, though, that it will be a “hard position for the RA’s” because of the added regulations they will be charged with enforcing.

Many students, however, said that the new policies unnecessarily clamp down on student freedoms.

Stefan Gramp (SFS ’10), who will be living in Alumni Square next year, said he was opposed to the idea of having host training sessions and a limit to the number of people at an apartment or townhouse.

“It’s ridiculous to have training,” he said, questioning if he would even attend. Gramp added the new policies were “impractical.”

Gramp said that the university’s “alcohol policy is going in the wrong direction.”

Brian Rupp (COL ’10) said he thinks the size restrictions at townhouses and apartments for parties are unnecessary. “I have never felt at danger at a party,” he said.

Stephanie Bean (COL ’09), who will be living in a Village A rooftop apartment next semester, said she understands why the university thinks such policies are necessary, but she does not see a real problem with alcohol or partying on campus, especially compared with larger schools.

Bean said she “doesn’t think that these policies are addressing the biggest concerns regarding student safety” and that restricting on-campus parties may push students further off campus to potentially more dangerous areas.