University Withdraws Support for Block Party

By Andreas Andrea Hoya Staff Writer

In the wake of the death of junior David Shick, the university withdrew its support for the spring Block Party, whose fate will be voted on tonight by the Advisory Neighborhood Commission. Also following the incident, the Alcohol Beverage Control Board inspected most Georgetown area bars this past weekend.

At a town hall meeting last night, Dean of Students James A. Donahue said that he will withhold support for the Block Party at tonight’s meeting.

Mike Owens (MSB ’00), one of the Block Party’s organizers, said that organizers will go on to seek approval for the event from the ANC depite Donahue’s withdrawl of support. “The way we stand is that we are going to take our chances with the ANC. Hopefully, we will be approved,” he said.

Owens said that ANC approval might be “an uphill battle” but said that he believes that organizers have a chance.

Owens said that he understands the university’s position in withdrawing support.

“We think it’s run in a responsible fashion. It brings the community together and people look forward to it all year. We don’t want to give up till we have given it a shot,” Owens said.

Last semester, the ANC approved the block party by a 5-3 vote. Four of the seven current members of the ANC voted for the Block Party last semester. If those four commissioners vote the same way tonight, the Block Party will go on as scheduled, Owens said.

Matt Payne (COL ’01), an ANC commissioner, said that he believes the four who voted for the Block Party will vote for it again tonight, although he said he could not be certain. He said that the university’s withdrawal of support will probably not affect those commissioners’ votes.

“If Shick’s death was due to a Block Party, I would be voting against it. It was due to underaged, unsupervised drinking, which is exactly what the Block Party isn’t,” he said.

In the past week, ABC officials have inspected a number of area bars, according to several local bar owners.

According to Claude Anderson, Corporate Operations Manager for Clyde’s Restaurant group, which operates The Tombs, the ABC is “basically hitting every single bar.” The ABC visited The Tombs on last Saturday night, and Anderson said that they came due to the Shick’s death.

Anderson said that The Tombs’ business has not been affected by the incident because the restaurant/bar’s basic crowd is of age. Although he said The Tombs’ “has always had a very hard line on checking ID’s at the door,” the staff has increased its measures to weed out underage drinkers.

“In the face of this incident, we have had several meeting with our doormen to make sure there is no doubt that customers are over 21. We have also had meetings with our service staff and managers to re-check ID’s if they feel it necessary,” he said.

Anderson said that he agrees with The Tombs’ decision to change the “99 Days” tradition from drinking a beer to just drinking any beverage. The 99 Days tradition calls for seniors go to The Tombs and drink beer every night of the last 99 days before graduation.

Anderson said that he has not been contacted by the university concerning the incident.

John Gliatis, manager of Georgetown Station, said that although they have always had a strict policy concerning identification, he, too, has taken extra measures to make sure no one falls through the cracks in light of Shick’s death.