Vigilant Students Honored for Deeds

Three Georgetown students received recognition yesterday in an award ceremony sponsored by the Department of Public Safety and attended by officials from several university departments.

George White (COL ’05), June Chanyasulkit (COL ’05) and Philip Marcelo (COL ’05) were recognized for their positive involvement in two separate incidents earlier this fall.

White alerted firefighters to the fire in Village C East the night of Aug. 31. White, a resident of the seventh floor of Village C East, saw the smoke from the eighth floor fire out of his window early that morning.

He then went up to the room and knocked on the door. After pulling the fire alarm, he remained on the floor and awaited the arrival of the firefighters.

Marcelo and Chanyasulkit also sacrificed sleep in an effort to help bring a friend’s attackers to justice. After witnessing the assault of their roommate in the early morning of Sept. 1, arcelo and Chanyasulkit dialed the Metropolitan Police Department on their cell phones.

“That in itself is much, much more than what is normally accepted,” DPS Director Darryl Harrison said of the two students’ actions and decision making.

Yet Marcelo and Chanyasulkit subsequently followed the two assailants to the Exxon Station on upper M Street. When the two students called their assaulted roommate’s cell phone, it rang in the pocket of one of the attackers and an MPD officer on the scene was able to identify and apprehend the assailants.

“Each of your actions go well beyond what is expected and speak to the involvement that is needed not only by students but by everyday individuals,” Harrison said as he presented each of the students with a certificate and a pen in their honor.

Todd Olson, vice president of student affairs, described the three students as “remarkable role models.”

“We wanted to express our recognition and appreciation,” Harrison added.

The three students were modest about their honor.

“Anyone would have done what I did if put in my position,” White said.

Chanyasulkit described her and Marcelo’s decision to follow the assailants as “instinctual.”

“We knew that they had to get caught eventually,” arcelo said.