Wildcats Rip Hoyas to Shreds in Three Sets

Dan Gelfand/The Hoya Freshman outside hitter Jennifer Fountain attempts to get the ball past two opposing blockers. Fountain has 26 kills for the season, but could not help the Hoyas out last weekend as Georgetown lost.

On Saturday, the Georgetown women’s volleyball team fell for the fourth-straight time to a Big East rival. Villanova knocked off the Hoyas at the Jake Nevin Field House, 30-26, 30-24, 30-26.

All three games were close on Saturday. In the first game the Hoyas were within three points of tying the game at 28, but a well-timed ace by the Wildcats put the game out of reach.

In the second game, the score was tied at 14 but Villanova then went on a 10-4 run, effectively taking control of that game before putting it away.

In game three, Georgetown got close enough to taste a win before letting it slip away. The Hoyas led, 26-25, but the Wildcats prevailed after a long rally to tie the score and gain momentum. Once the score was tied, Villanova got a well-placed tip from junior defensive specialist Jennifer Badran-Grycan. A costly hitting error by the Hoyas put the Wildcats two points away from the win, which they subsequently recorded with an ace and a kill.

The Hoyas showed encouraging progress with their tough play. Sophomore outside hitter Rachel Nelson led the offense for Georgetown as she posted 11 kills. Junior middle blocker Sara Albert had eight kills as well as an impressive four blocks.

Wildcat junior middle blockers Katie Lanting and Kerri Sullivan led all players offensively with 12 kills each.

Villanova moved to 3-4 in Big East play, 8-13 overall, with the win. Georgetown slipped to 6-16 overall, and 1-6 in Big East play.

Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Miami have separated themselves at the top of the conference standings. Following them is a bevy of teams within a game of the .500 mark. Leading those programs are St. John’s and Virginia Tech, which both have records of 4-3 in the Big East.

Those teams will have to battle with each other as well as with the teams nipping at their heels for a fourth tournament spot. Barring an unlikely finish the Hoyas will not be among those teams.

Georgetown has a weekend doubleheader this Saturday and Sunday as it travels first to Providence College and then to Boston College. The team returns home on to take on Seton Hall on Nov. 8.