Williams-Flournoy Named New Coach

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Terri Williams-Flournoy laughs with friends after the press conference to announce her hiring.

The athletic department named Terri Williams-Flournoy as the new head coach of the women’s basketball team, Interim Athletic Director Adam Brick announced at a press conference last Friday. She is the sixth coach to lead the program since its inception for the 1970-71 season.

Williams-Flournoy began her career at Georgetown as an assistant coach under Pat Knapp from 1992-96, who left his post earlier in the summer to accept a position at the University of Pennsylvania . During her time on the Hilltop, she helped coach the Hoyas to a Big East Championship in 1993as well as the Hoyas’ inaugural invitation to the NCAA tournament in 1993 and the team’s Sweet 16 run in 1993.

Overall, Williams-Flournoy’s record of achievement on the court includes nine programs that have claimed NCAA tournament berths, including one Final Four appearance.

In addition to Georgetown , Williams-Flournoy has acted as assistant coach at the University of Georgia and, most recently, Southwest Missouri State , compiling a 251-116 overall record as an assistant coach.

Before starting her coaching career, Williams-Flournoy was a four-year letter winner at Penn State University and during her junior and senior seasons the Lions won the Atlantic 10 conference championship.

Her achievements did not stop at the court, however. Williams-Flournoy has been respected and praised by her colleagues as a guiding force for players both on the court and in the classroom.

“Along with her winning ways, Terri has always been an educator of the complete student-athlete,” Brick said at the press conference. “That focus of both working hard in the classroom and on the court is what makes her such a wonderful hire to lead Georgetown women’s basketball into the future.”

As Williams-Flournoy joins the Hoyas, the team gears up for a new season with a new look. During the offseason, last year’s leading scorer and rebounder, Rebekkah Brunson (COL ’04), was drafted in the WNBA and Carmen Bruce, a starter at guard, transferred to Duquesne, leaving the Hoyas with some holes to fill in their roster.

During the past six seasons, the women’s basketball team has made four appearances in the National Invitation Tournament. The Hoyas finished last year with a record of 13-15 and were eliminated from the Big East tournament in the first round by Virginia Tech.