With Six Starters Back and New Coach, Georgetown Looks to Improve on 1998

By Matt Serventi Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown field hockey team opens the 1999 season Sunday against the University of Albany at St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. The Hoyas, under the direction of first-year Head Coach Laurie Carroll, will attempt to improve on last year’s record of 7-8.

Returning are six of last season’s starters, including the top three scorers – junior midfielders Sarah Oglesby (eight goals, 17 points) and Caitlin cLean (seven goals, 14 points) and senior midfielder/forward Lori Fogliano (four goals, 10 points). The Hoyas will also count on the senior leadership of their captains, midfielders Jordan Keating and Susan Stewart. Freshman goalkeeper Jessica Herring, who has been impressive in the preseason, according to Carroll, will anchor the defense.

Carroll, who is in her first year as head coach after several years as an assistant at James Madison and American, and her staff will bring a new look to this season’s Hoyas, discarding past teams’ strategies and moving some players to positions they may not have previously played.

“We’re really coming in with an open mind and a fresh start,” Carroll said. “I wanted to have my staff evaluate our strengths and figure out what system we would play. We probably have people in totally different positions than they were in in the past.”

Carroll is hopeful about the team’s prospects for this season.

“I think we look good,” Carroll said. “If we focus on ourselves and compete the way that we can everyday, the wins will come.”