Women Bow Out in First Round of WNIT

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Brunson scored 14 but the Hoyas were unable to advance.

In 20 minutes, all ambitions of the Georgetown women’s basketball team for the Women’s National Invitation Tournament dissolved as the University of Richmond ground away a 79-65 victory in the tournament’s opener last night.

Since losing to Seton Hall in the first round of the Big East Championships, Georgetown has regrouped and practiced for 12 days in preparation for the matchup. Drawing an Atlantic-10 team appeared to be a favorable omen, as the Hoyas downed the conference champion, George Washington, back in early January. Georgetown had reasons to believe that it would do well in the tournament.

“We were ready. Our mood in practice was good, and we were intense all week. We came out strong here,” sophomore guard ary Lisicky said.

While the first few minutes passed by relatively uneventfully, Richmond attempted to break away from the Hoyas, who steadfastly kept on top of their opponents, not letting too wide a gap separate them. After seven minutes had elapsed, the score was tied at nine. The Spiders tried to crawl away again, but the Hoyas brought it back to another tie.

Georgetown’s best showing during the half came with about 5:00 left. A trey and a jumper from sophomore guard Mary Lisicky helped extend the team’s lead to five points, 27-22. The Hoyas could not maintain their stay on top, and soon Richmond charged back forcing the tie and grabbing the lead in the last seconds. As the buzzer rang, the teams left the court knowing that while Richmond led 35-33, both teams had battled intensely throughout the half.

“The offensive kept us in the game in the first half, and we we’re moving the ball well. We were making enough stops on defense, though, and we could’ve stepped it up,” Lisicky said.

Georgetown’s offense went 11-for-27 in the first half, or 40.7 percent, buoyed by sophomore guard Mary Lisicky’s three treys and 70.0 percent shooting. Richmond held the slight advantage on shooting, knocking in 12 of their 27 attempts for a solid 44.4 shooting percentage and all five starters made an impact on the court,

Lisicky presided over the first half with a game-high 17 points followed by junior forward Rebekkah Brunson, who added six. Other than Lisicky’s exhibition on offense, the rest of the team failed to create many sparks. They held up on defense, though, keeping Richmond from pulling away. Senior forward Cammy Desmond, along with junior guard Amber Goppert, led the Spiders with nine apiece.

“I’ve been working on my shot lately, and I came here early to get comfortable with the ball. It just felt good going in and going up,” Lisicky said.

Back on the court for the second half, the two teams played it close in the opening minutes. At 17:17, sophomore guard Sarah Jenkins nailed a jumper that tied the score at 41-41. Jenkins next jumper became the high point of the period for the Hoyas as they moved into a two-point lead.

The Spiders’ offense spun a trap, ensnaring the hapless Hoya defenders with back door cuts and precise shooting. Little by little, the margin between the two teams began to widen. While Georgetown could almost reach its competitors, the Spiders found another way to tangle up their prey. With 3:32 left on the clock, Richmond’s lead moved into the double-digits, 69-59, and the Hoyas looked sunk.

“Defensively, we didn’t get on their shooters and they were getting easy layups and the rebounds,” Lisicky said. “At times on offense we got crazy with it, just rushing our shots.”

A three-pointer from Lisicky followed by another from Jenkins cut into the Spider’s lead and provided a small opening for the Hoyas to attack, but every time the players tried, turnovers and missed shots doomed them. Richmond floated to victory in the final minutes on a wave of free throw shots that sent Georgetown under, 79-65.

Georgetown’s offense stayed the same throughout the game, finishing with a 40.7 percent average for both halves. Richmond, however, turned up the heat in the second half, sinking 16-of-29 shots, or a burning 55.2 percent. The team scorched the Hoya’s in the paint, where the players could only come up with two points compared to the Spiders’ 20. Richmond also won the battle off the glass, allowing them to get 15 second-chance points while the Hoyas failed to score any.

Lisicky shined brightest for the Hoyas, coming up with 25 points and six rebounds. Brunson came to her aid with another fine performance; the All-Big East First Team nominee chipped in with 14 points and eight rebounds. The entire starting squad showed up to play hard last night, and all but one managed double-digit scores. Sophomore forward Kate Flavin led with 19 points and nine rebounds while teammate Desmond recorded a double-double with 18 points and 12 boards.

From an 11-2 run to start the season, the team now finally ends with a 15-14 record. The team will retain many of its core players for next year, and the Hoyas hope to leave this season’s disappointments soon behind.

“Coming into this year we had so much potential. We have the talent, and it’s a disappointment that we’re done,” Lisicky said. “We have to keep our heads up. Who knows about next season?”