Women Hit the Right Notes in Season Closer

Veronique Millon/The Hoya Senior forward Jessie Beers-Altman wards off American sophomore defender Lena Winkler during the second half Wednesday afternoon at North Kehoe Field. Beers-Altman had two goals in her final effort.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team ended a disappointing season with an emotional outpouring from the seniors and a handful of underclassmen on Wednesday. The Hoyas finished on a high note, defeating American University 5-1 at home and sending their seniors away with one final win. The victory could not stop many players from crying as they cooled down on the sideline, knowing that the four years they devoted to soccer on the Hilltop had finally come to a close.

On a cold afternoon, the Hoyas got off to the better start, controlling the tempo for the opening minutes of the match with good ball movement that kept American playing catch-up. As the game settled down, the teams were evenly matched with no team dominating the play. There was good movement up and down the field and few fouls called on either team.

Despite many close chances and well-placed shots, goals were hard to come by for both teams early in the game. Georgetown was the first to get on the board with a goal in the 31st minute of the first half, scored by sophomore midfielder Shara McNeill. With an assist from sophomore defender Kyle Holsinger-Johnson, McNeill dribbled around American senior goaltender Lauren Wohl for the open-net score. McNeill was one of Georgetown’s leading scorers this season, finishing with seven goals and four assists.

With just under three minutes left to play in the half, Georgetown was again able to convert with a goal by senior forward Jessie Beers-Altman. With the ball loose in the penalty box, the Eagles were unable to clear and Beers-Altman took the opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net.

The Hoyas struck again before the Eagles had a chance to regain their composure. With only 44 seconds left before halftime, Beers-Altman was again able to put the ball away to give the Hoyas a 3-0 lead going into halftime. Drawing Wohl out of the box as she dribbled in from midfield, Beers-Altman took the ball around her with a fake to the right and then was able to dribble into the box uncontested for the easy goal. The goal was Beers-Altman’s seventh of the season and 25th of her career, which was just one short of tying her for the all-time career scoring record at Georgetown.

Coming out of halftime, the Hoyas again dominated. With good ball control and vision, Georgetown made crisp passes and had good first touches. The Hoyas were also the quicker team, beating the Eagles to the ball on both offense and defense.

But the Eagles soon regained their composure and were able to put together a few good scoring chances. Eight minutes into the half, sophomore midfielder Simone Konig had two quick shots on Georgetown’s sophomore keeper Louisa Butler. Butler was able to get a hand on each shot to deflect the ball wide and maintain the shutout. Konig got another chance to put the Eagles on the board in the 61st minute when she had a free kick just outside the Hoyas penalty box, but this time her shot was off and the ball sailed high over the net.

After many missed opportunities, Georgetown was the first to get on the board in the second half with a goal at 62:27 by senior midfielder Courtney Shaub. Beers-Altman got the assist on the goal after freshman goalkeeper Alison Doyle deflected her shot and Shaub was able to collect the rebound and put it away.

Shaub also scored the Hoyas next goal with just under 12 minutes remaining in the match. On the cross from junior forward Casey cCann, Shaub slidetackled the ball away from Doyle for the Hoyas fifth goal of the game. Shaub finished the season with three goals and four assists.

With only seven minutes remaining in the game, the Eagles were finally able to get on the board. Senior Hoya defender Lauren Calone was called for a holding penalty in the box, leading to an American penalty kick. Eagle freshman defender Jana Lee drove the kick past Butler into the lower left-hand corner of the goal to end the shutout.

“[The game] started a little slow, but we were able to put goals away, which isn’t something we’ve been able to do too well this season,” said head coach Diane Drake. “It was thrilling to score those five goals, which is what I asked all the younger players to do for the seniors. But in the end, it was the seniors who scored four of the five goals.”

After the game, seniors Calone, Shaub, Beers-Altman and Jen Choiniere could not resist displaying a range of emotions on the sidelines. They cried, sad that their time on the field was finally over, yet they were also relieved and happy for their accomplishments. Several underclassmen remained to share in this affecting moment for several of the team’s most central players.

“The seniors will be missed, in more ways than one,” Drake said. “They were instrumental in our success and they are all passionate, impacting soccer players.”

Georgetown ends the 2003 season with an overall record of 7-11-1, including 0-6-0 in the Big East. Georgetown did not qualify for any postseason play.

“We had a rough run, with more lows than highs,” Drake said. “But facing this adversity will build character for next year because these girls won’t settle for another season like this. They will be stronger and more confident.”