Women’s Basketball: Team Effort Routs Patriots

Team Effort Routs Patriots

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

Twenty-four seconds into Georgetown women’s basketball game against George Mason Wednesday, junior forward Nathalie Bourdereau gave the Hoyas the lead for good when her free throw sailed through the net, giving the Hoyas a 1-0 lead.

Over the course of the next 39 minutes and 36 seconds, Georgetown pummeled its third opponent in a row with an 82-59 trouncing of George Mason in Fairfax, Va. With the win, the Hoyas improve their record to 3-2 with two games remaining before their Big East opener next Thursday when they travel to St. John’s.

The Hoyas dominated the game from the opening whistle to the final buzzer, jumping out to an early 31-7 lead and never letting the Patriots within 15 points after that.

Shooting percentage was clearly the difference in the game. While the two teams took roughly the same number of shots in the game, the Hoyas outshot the Patriots 58 percent to 42 percent from the field, 57 percent to 14 percent from three-point land and 74 percent to 61 percent from the free-throw line.

All five starters reached double figures in scoring, marking the first time this season more than two starters accomplished the feat.

“Let’s give a thumbs up to the starting five,” Head Coach Pat Knapp said. “They were clicking,” Knapp said.

Junior standout guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy led the Hoyas’ scoring effort for the fourth time in five games, posting a season-high 25 points, topping 20 points for her third straight game. Smrcka-Duffy did more than score points for the Hoyas, as she led Georgetown in rebounds (six) and steals (three), as well as 3-pointers (four), and total points.

“Katie made some great decisions, Knapp said. “She didn’t take one bad shot.”

Senior center Danielle Hurley led all players in assists with five, bettering junior forward Dani Ilic, sophomore guard Lesley Walker and Smrcka-Duffy, who each had four. Hurley also added 11 points. Bourdereau finished the game with 13 points.

The Hoyas look to extend their winning streak this weekend as they travel to New Orleans to square off against Tulane. The meeting will be the first ever between the Hoyas and the Green Wave. The Green Wave is currently 4-0 and has already disposed of one Big East team, Miami, with a 9-point win.

Next week, the Hoyas return to the Hilltop to play host to Sacred Heart on Monday before they begin Big East play next Thursday against St. John’s.