University, Neighbors Near Agreement on 2010 Campus Plan

As the D.C. Zoning Commission’s June 25 hearing on the 2010 Campus Plan approaches, it appears that the university and neighborhood groups are close to reaching an agreement.

At last night’s monthly Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E, the university, the Burleith Citizens Association, the Citizens Association of Georgetown and the local ANC announced that they were requesting a one week extension of the Zoning Commission’s filing deadline to allow the groups to submit a joint proposal.

The approval process for the plan was last extended in early April after the university, the BCA, theCAG and ANC 2E requested a 60-day postponement in order to conduct private talks outside the often combative Zoning Commission hearings.

According to ANC 2E Chair Ron Lewis, the extension will enable participants in the campus plan process to submit a mutually-agreed upon proposal to the Zoning Commission.

“[This extension] could provide sufficient time to finalize an agreement,” he said.

He added that the he believes that the extension is likely to be approved.

Lewis, D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and Georgetown University President John J. DeGioia will make an announcement regarding the proposal tomorrow afternoon.

According to Lewis, after the proposal is announced a public meeting will be held to allow for community comment and discussion before the proposal is filed with the Zoning Commission.