University to Install Dorm Surveillance

Security cameras will be installed at the entrances and exits of all student residences, the Department of Public Safety announced in an email to the Georgetown community on Wednesday.

Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh cited continued university efforts to keep safety measures up to date as the reason for this decision.

“Georgetown is installing additional security cameras on campus as part of its ongoing efforts to enhance safety and security,” Pugh wrote in an email. “Georgetown personnel use security cameras as one of many measures to deter and detect criminal activity on campus.”

The placing of the cameras follows a string of property crimes in residence halls and other university buildings. Since the beginning of the school year, DPS has reported more than 123 incidences of theft and 23 burglaries on campus and in the surrounding area.

Caroline Garity (COL ’12) said she hopes that the cameras will help deter criminals.

“I think it could be useful. I got my laptop stolen last year in McCarthy. Increased security would be good for the school right now,” she said.

Olga Alexeeva (MSB ’11) said she thought that Village A’s large number of break-ins in the complex last semester are cause for security cameras.

“I think Village A needs them the most,” she said.

As a matter of convenience, the timing of the camera installation was coordinated to coincide with the setup of wireless in residence halls.

“We are able to create efficiencies in time and construction costs by having work for this project be done at the same time,” Pugh wrote.

In order to maximize the effectiveness of the cameras, Pugh could not disclose where the cameras would be located. She said that they would not compromise students’ privacy, however.

“Cameras are not directed at private residence hall living spaces and are purposefully installed in ways that are consistent with students’ reasonable expectations of privacy,” Pugh wrote.

There are currently cameras located in some buildings on campus, but the devices will be the first to appear in residence halls.

While Lin Chen (SFS ’11) is not concerned about privacy, he said that he is unconvinced of the necessity of cameras.

“I don’t really feel strongly either way. It does seem a little redundant since there are security guards at each of the residences,” Chen said.