VOLLEYBALL | Georgetown Splits Pair With Local Rivals

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team began their season this past weekend at the DC Challenge at the Charles E. Smith Center at American University. The Hoyas started off the tournament on a high note, sweeping George Mason University in their first game with set scores of 25-17, 25-22 and 27-25. Junior middle blocker Lindsay Wise helped set the tone for the match, leading the team with eight blocks and 13 kills. Collectively, the Hoyas tailed 51 assists, 54 digs, 54 kills and a .339 hitting percentage.

The Hoyas faced local rivals American University in the second round of the tournament, but were unable to repeat the success of the George Mason win. After falling to the Eagles in the first two sets 25-22 and 27-25, the Hoyas were able to rally and take the third set, 25-23. The Eagles, however, sealed their victory with a 25-22 fourth set victory. Senior setter Ashley Malone was impressive in the loss, leading the Blue and Gray with 43 assists, 12 kills, and 19 digs.

Georgetown will look to return to its winning ways next weekend, as they travel to Winston-Salem, N.C. for the Deacon Invitation at Wake Forest.