VOLLEYBALL | Georgetown Splits Weekend Home Matches

AARON WEINMANN/THE HOYA | Senior outside hitter Alyssa Sinnette has 213 kills and 107 digs so far this season.

The Georgetown volleyball team split its home matches in McDonough Arena last weekend, falling to Creighton on Oct.12 and defeating Providence on Oct. 13.

Georgetown (13-8, 6-3 Big East) entered its matchup against Creighton (16-4, 8-0 Big East) as underdogs. The Blue Jays sported a No. 10 national ranking, with wins over No. 5 Kentucky and No. 21 Marquette, and boasted an undefeated record in Big East play.

Georgetown defeated Big East rivals Butler and Xavier in convincing fashion the week prior on its Midwest road swing.

The Blue and Gray, however, could not replicate its road success at home, losing in straight sets by scores of 25-17, 25-20 and 25-15 to Creighton.

The Blue Jays registered five or more unanswered points in each of the three sets.

Senior outside hitters Taryn Kloth and Jaali Winters led the Blue Jays and recorded 10 kills apiece. Junior setter Madelyn Cole led all players with 12 digs and picked up 23 assists.

Junior outside hitter Iva Vujosevic led the Hoyas with 11 kills, while senior outside hitter Alyssa Sinnette added eight kills. Sophomore setter Margo Pivonka registered a game-high 26 assists. Senior middle blocker Symone Speech contributed seven kills while leading the Hoya defense with three blocks.

Georgetown bounced back from the Creighton loss, defeating the Providence Friars (7-12, 1-7 Big East) the next day in four straight sets by scores of 25-16, 16-25, 25-20 and 25-20.

The Hoyas and Friars were knotted at 3-3 in the first set before the Blue and Gray pulled away on an unanswered 6-0 run to go up 9-3.

Georgetown struggled to hold off Providence throughout the rest of the set. The Friars clawed back to reduce the Hoyas’ lead to four, but Georgetown withstood the Friar onslaught and went on a 6-1 run to win the frame.

Providence dominated the second set, opening with seven unanswered points and winning the frame convincingly 25-16.

Georgetown started the third set strongly, taking a 7-3 lead. Providence rallied back to reduce its deficit to two and make the score 12-10. Georgetown pulled away with a 5-2 run to settle the match at 25-20.

The Friars and Hoyas battled through ten ties and four lead changes. Georgetown pulled ahead by four at 20-16 after the score was tied 15-15 in the final set. Providence came back to within one at 21-20, but Georgetown remained poised and won the next four points to claim both the frame and the match.

Speech led the Hoyas with 12 kills and 4 blocks while junior Addison Root led the Friars with 14 kills.

Georgetown travels to South Orange, N.J., and Queens, N.Y., next week for matches against Big East opponents Seton Hall and St. John’s.