VOLLEYBALL | Georgetown Suffers Loss to Xavier Before Falling to Butler

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team traveled to the Midwest to play two big games against Xavier University on Friday, Oct. 25 and Butler University on Sunday, Oct. 27. In a five-set loss to the Xavier Musketeers and a three-set loss to the Butler Bulldogs, the Hoyas regressed to a season record of 12-12.

After the Hoyas took an early lead in the first set on Friday evening, the Musketeers climbed back, fighting neck and neck with the Hoyas until Georgetown took a lead toward the end, finishing 25-21. The second set saw the Hoyas improve their performance as they maintained their initial lead throughout the set, winning 25-19.

The third set brought trouble for Georgetown as Xavier grabbed the lead and quickly finished the set at 14-25. The Hoyas fought back in the fourth, before being unable to reclaim the lead, losing in a tiebreaker at 25-27. Despite frequent fifth-set substitutions, the Hoyas were unable to grasp the lead and lost the last set 11-15. Friday’s five-set match marked their eighth of the season. After the 5-set match on Friday, Georgetown has played eight five-set games this season, with five of the nine Big East matches going to five sets.

Freshman Peyton Wilhite and junior Riley Wertzberger posted career highs in kills, with Wilhite bringing in 18 and Wertzberger finishing with 17. Senior outside hitter Iva Vujosevic earned her ninth double-double for the season, finishing the game with 12 kills and 11 digs. Senior Margo Snipe posted seven kills at a 0.462 clip while freshman Makayla Serrett managed seven kills without an attack error. Junior Margo Pivonka ended the game with a team-high of 43 assists. 

File Photo: Kassidy Angelo For The Hoya | Senior outside hitter Iva Vujosevic focuses as she jumps high in the air to hit the ball with force. Vujosevic recorded 12 kills and 11 digs last week against Xavier, earning her ninth double-double of the season.

After the close matchup against Xavier University, Georgetown traveled to Indianapolis to compete against Butler University on Sunday afternoon. The Hoyas went into the first set sticking with the Bulldogs until the midway point when the Hoyas lost a handle on the set. The Bulldogs eventually ran away with the win by a score of 13-25.

The second set progressed similarly, with Georgetown and Butler playing head-to-head until the Bulldogs managed to gain a slight advantage over the Hoyas. The Hoyas remained unable to claim the lead, losing the second set 20-25.

The third set brought similar troubles, but after an early lead from the Bulldogs, the Blue and Gray fought back with six consecutive serves from Vujosevic, reducing the deficit to 13-15. The two teams went head-to-head, playing until setpoint four times. This streak ended with an attack error by Elissa Barbosa and a bad set by Ellie Watkins which ended the set 27-29 as Butler took the pivotal set.

The loss against Butler brought Georgetown’s conference record to 2-7. Wilhite ended the game posting the most kills across the board and one block. Vujosevic finished with eight kills, three aces, two assists, and 11 digs. Both Wertzberger and Serrett secured two blocks. Pivonka added 17 assists to her record in addition to six digs.

The Hoyas will play Villanova University in two back-to-back games, first returning to Washington, D.C., to play Villanova at 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 1. Afterward, the Hoyas will head to Villanova, Pa. to play the Wildcats on their home court at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 3.