VOLLEYBALL | GU Turns Corner, Wins Two

Courtesy CASEI LA TOUCHE/THE TORCH
Courtesy CASEI LA TOUCHE/THE TORCH

The Georgetown volleyball team got its first two wins in the Big East last weekend on the road against Seton Hall and St. John’s and will be looking for two more against those very same teams this weekend at McDonough Arena.

The Hoyas (8-10, 2-3 Big East) will be facing both Seton Hall (8-10, 1-4 Big East) and St. John’s (13-8, 2-3 Big East) again this weekend after upsetting both teams on the road.

“It was a really good weekend for us,” Head Coach Arlisa Williams said. “[The team] played so hard, showed a lot of fight. Nobody was expecting us to get either one of them, and we just went out, and we passed dimes, and it was just amazing how in system we were all weekend.”

Georgetown defeated St. John’s in five sets, led by its offensive trio of sophomore outside hitter Lauren Saar, junior middle blocker Dani White and junior outside hitter Alex Johnson. Saar had 18 kills and 19 digs, and Johnson followed closely with 17 kills, while White had 12. All three players also posted double-digit kill totals against Seton Hall the next night. Georgetown will need their continued production to keep seeing success on the court.

“I think that they just have some confidence now that we can do this. It’s hard work, and they know that, but now it’s ‘we can do this,’ and they’re just going to go to work,” Williams said.

White was named to this week’s Big East Honor Roll for her performance. She totaled 12 kills and six blocks two nights in a row to earn the mention.

For Williams, facing the two teams they just beat is a double-edged sword. On one hand, the team knows they can succeed against them and understands what worked well. However, St. John’s and Seton Hall will return not only with knowledge of the Blue and Gray’s capabilities but with a desire for revenge.

“[St. John’s is] going to come in here, and they know that they can’t sleep on us now, so we are going to get their best from point one,” Williams said. “They’re going to come in ready to show us that, ‘Hey, that was a fluke,’ and we have to show them that, ‘No, it wasn’t.’”

Seton Hall had a tough time getting into a system against Georgetown, and it will be looking to avenge its straight-set loss.

“They just started out slow and could never find their rhythm, so they’ll come in with a different mentality,” Williams said.

Georgetown will have to watch out for Seton Hall’s junior setter Shelbey Manthorpe, who recorded a triple-double last week against Villanova, and St. John’s junior outside hitter Aleksandra Wachowicz, who led the team in kills per set at 5.78 and points per set at 6.44 last weekend. Both were also named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

Williams and the team will continue to make adjustments to keep their success going against the two conference rivals.

“We played pretty well all weekend, but there were a few areas that we were deficient in, so we need to make sure that we address those areas,” Williams said. “We need to continue to perform at a high level.”

The massive momentum swing they’ve had since winning those two games will help the Hoyas this weekend. In one weekend, they doubled their conference wins from last year, and two consecutive road wins have boosted their confidence.

“It’s like coaching a whole different team. They are just so excited,” Williams said. “I went into the locker room after St. John’s, and I have never heard them that loud. The energy is just amazing, their focus is amazing, their attention to detail, holding themselves and each other accountable; I mean they’re just super thrilled, super confident and the energy in our gym is phenomenal.”

The Hoyas play at 8 p.m. on Friday in McDonough Arena, and Williams is excited for the home crowd, especially on Friday’s Dig Pink night.

“Friday night is Dig Pink. So let’s make sure we get some fans in the stands to help us not only try to defeat Seton Hall but increase education and awareness for breast cancer,” she said.