VOLLEYBALL | Hoyas Fall to DePaul Following Loss to Marquette

The Georgetown volleyball team traveled to face No. 9 Marquette University on Friday, Nov. 15 in Milwaukee and DePaul University on Saturday, Nov. 16 in Chicago. The Hoyas finished their weekend adding two more losses to their record, going 13-15 for the season and 3-13 in the Big East. 

On Friday, Georgetown faced off against Marquette, falling 3-1 to the Golden Eagles. In the first set, the Golden Eagles took off with the serve immediately, finishing the set 25-11 as the Hoyas were unable to recover. The Blue and Gray began the next set with a vengeance, taking and maintaining an early lead and securing the set 25-20.

The Golden Eagles yet again took the lead in the third set, and even though the Hoyas fought back with well-executed blocks and kills by senior outside hitter Iva Vujosevic, the Golden Eagles took the set 25-14. In the last set of the game, Georgetown closely tailed Marquette, going head to head until mid-set, when Georgetown lost its footing with a series of attack errors,  falling 17-25.

Sophomore outside hitter Elissa Barbosa led the team with 11 kills and 11 digs, earning a double-double as well as earning a team-high three aces. Vujosevic added eight kills, ten digs and a block to the scoreboard, while freshman middle blocker Makayla Serrett made six kills and four blocks. Junior setter Margo Pivonka recorded 17 assists and nine digs, just missing out on a double-double. Sophomore defensive specialist Jessica Cusi led the Hoyas on defensive end with 14 digs in yet another strong performance for her.

File Photo: Yichu Huang For The Hoya | Sophomore outside hitter Elissa Barbosa stays focused as she gets ready to bump the ball. Barbosa led the team with 11 kills against Marquette and recorded 6 kills against DePaul.

On Saturday, the Hoyas traveled to Chicago to face DePaul. In the first set, DePaul immediately took the lead, which gradually decreased until midgame when Georgetown caught up. But the Hoyas lost their footing again and let the Blue Demons run away with the lead to finish the set 21-25. The second set did not provide to be of much success either, with another immediate lead from DePaul, which they maintained to finish the set 25-12. 

However, in the third set, Georgetown took a small lead, which it protected to secure the set 25-23, despite DePaul’s attempts to secure the win. The fourth set began with a series of substitutions followed by a nine-point uncontested sweep by DePaul, which went unanswered by Georgetown. The Hoyas fell 11-25 in this last set against the Blue Demons, losing the game 1-3. 

Highlight performances include nine kills by senior right side Margo Snipe, seven kills by freshman right side Peyton Wilhite and six kills by Vojosevic. Pivonka and freshman setter Ellie Watkins both posted double-digit assist tallies, 18 for Pivonka and 15 for Watkins. Defensively, Cusi and Barbosa both made 10 digs, with Watkins adding five more to her impressive performance on the day. 

It is notable that multiple players contributed to the team’s effort in these two games, with a variety of the team’s members having highlight performances. 

Georgetown looks forward to closing the 2019 season next weekend with another road trip to St. John’s University on Friday, Nov. 22. St. John’s matchup will be a competitive one, with their record of 19-10 overall and 10-5 in the Big East conference. The Hoyas host their last regular season game on Sunday, Nov. 24 against Seton Hall, who have a season record of 7-23 and 2-14 Big East conference record.