VOLLEYBALL | Hoyas Win 3, Drop 1 in Busy Weekend To Start Season

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team was back in action for the fall season last weekend at the 2019 Georgetown Classic in Washington, D.C., where they finished with a 3-1 record. Georgetown won its first three matchups of the weekend against Rider University, Sacred Heart University, Central Connecticut State University and the University of Central Arkansas before falling in a difficult match against the University of Central Arkansas.

The Hoyas first faced the Broncs, winning in three sets. Senior outside hitter Iva Vujosevic led Georgetown with 13 kills, while freshman setter Emma Plutnicki recorded 28 assists to lead the way on that front. On the opponent’s side, freshman right side Morgan Romano had 15 kills, and senior libero Rachelle Runyon added 13 digs.

Georgetown would keep its early momentum going into its second game Friday against Sacred Heart. Even though SHU led Georgetown by a significant 94-72 margin in digs, the Hoyas were steady and resilient, staying close in the kills and assists columns. They went on to win 3-2 in a nail-biting final fifth set to continue the successful start to the season.

On Saturday, Georgetown started out by playing CCSU. Two outside hitters, sophomore Elissa Barbosa and junior Riley Wertzberger, led the Hoyas with seven kills each, and junior Margo Pivonka contributed 26 assists — far more than anyone else on either side.

The Blue Devils boasted strong performances from junior outside hitter Samantha McCreath and junior setter Erin McDermott. In the end, however, the Hoyas would win the first two sets in close fashion, each by a score of 25-22, before a less competitive third set to finish the match 3-0. The Hoyas, after a 3-0 start, played their last game of the classic against the Sugar Bears. Georgetown was led by Vujosevic and Plutnicki, who earned nine kills and 17 assists respectively.

GUHOYAS | The Hoyas take the final moments before a match to discuss game planning on their busy weekend.

UCA showed a strong performance from senior outside hitter Abbie Harry, who had 11 kills, and junior setter Bailey Waddington, who had 16 assists. UCA went on to win in three sets (25-16, 25-15, 25-19).

Having officially started play, the Hoyas are ready to tackle another season. With several key players returning from last year, the Hoyas hope to improve upon their previous record of 17-13.

Vujosevic is looking to once again dominate in the kills and aces columns. Pivonka, who made more than 1,000 assists last season, is returning as setter. There are also eight freshmen on the team this year who will add new talent to the team.

The team’s performance on opening day was a promising start for what will seemingly be a strong season; Georgetown has not won its first two matches of the season since 2012. This start should fuel a strong sense of confidence for the team, who gets to build upon at these victories before its next set of matches, also in D.C.

The Hoyas will return to their home court, hosting the Bulldog Invite before heading to the William & Mary tournament in a few weeks. They begin their usual set of Big East matchups at Providence on Sept. 27.