Wireless in the Works, DeGioia Vows to Net-Strapped Students

Campus-wide wireless Internet access may soon be a reality.

President John J. DeGioia said in an interview with student press on Wednesday that Georgetown is on track to finish campus-wide wireless implementation by springtime.

“We wanted to do it earlier. It was a question of resources. We wanted to get things done in the best way that we could. The need for wireless was not lost on us over the last two years,” DeGioia said.

Director of Media Relations Andy Pino said the infrastructure of the university is currently being upgraded. “All living spaces, common areas and community rooms in our residence halls and apartments will have wireless access by the end of the academic year,” Pino said.

Students have been reacting favorably to the news of the wireless upgrade.

“I think that’s really necessary because the school demands the students to access internet for their classes,” said Nitya Ramlogan (SFS `13). “Even in our dorms where we don’t have wireless we don’t have enough jacks for our Ethernet cords so I think if you

can’t provide that you can at least provide wireless. It’s a lot more practical.”

The change may even affect prospective students view of the campus.

“When I was a touring prospective student, I was surprised that the campus wasn’t wireless. Thankfully, when I lived in New South, I didn’t need to use an Ethernet cord very often because New South was almost completely wireless,” said Ben Burdick (COL ’13). “Living in LXR, however, is frustrating because you don’t have the luxury of wireless, so I’m looking forward to a wireless campus. I think it would lead to better technological support, a smoother run campus, and more availability of places for students to study on campus.”

Although there are many benefits to the arrival of a wireless campus, Georgetown’s University Information Services website cautions students of oft-overlooked dangers. A wireless campus means compromised security, since wireless can allow unauthorized access to the Georgetown network extending beyond the buildings and the campus. Security features may not be equipped to prevent unauthorized access to data from attackers. Thus students and others on campus may have to implement other security measures such as using application-level authentication and encryption technologies to ensure their data is safeguarded.